I really hope these barred rocks are girls

I believe between 15 and 20 weeks is what it said on the website. I had been looking at many different sites though so I'm not sure which one I saw that on lol.

I believe between 15 and 20 weeks is what it said on the website. I had been looking at many different sites though so I'm not sure which one I saw that on lol.

To me they look on the younger side of that estimate. But likely you will get eggs within a few weeks, as BR aren't known to be late layers. Of note, their combs are only pink so they still have some maturing to do before eggs. You'll see their combs and wattles will get red and should see eggs shortly thereafter!

I guess I have to find them homes and start all over again and not with the people I went to before. They apparently don't know what they're doing >_>

I am breed picky but I don't mind paying more for assurance they are girls... I just worry they won't be socialized and won't be used to us. Them being friendly is more important than the eggs to us. I appreciate the resources!
Babies are easier to tame but I bought older girls with my first flock. They were all at least 6 mo. and an assortment of breeds. They warmed up to us quickly. They were eating mealworms from our hands by day 3. They do not like to be picked up but once I manage to do so, they behave well and are calm. The tamest chickens I have had (& easiest to handle even as adults) were orps and cream legbar.
Good luck.

They're understandably standoffish. I've only seen one leave the coop to sit on a swing we put up in the run, then went right back in. I've been talking to them and they eat out of my (gloved) hand now. We will be finishing their run extension sometime this month.

Again though, I'm just so glad to FINALLY have girls.

They are beautiful! I am new to chickens too and currently only have one barred rock baby, but she is young. I'm going to guess so please don't take my reply seriously, lol. I see two Cockerels and one pullet.
I agree! Two are cockerel for sure. Not sure one of them though. Looks like a pullet to me. Sorry about the cockerels. I can relate. I think we all can relate to it. It’s the worst. Especially when they are friendly. :(
Hope you can find a nice home for them!
Sorry about the cockerels. They sure are pretty though!

Here's a pic of a roo and a hen. At 4 weeks, so BIG difference by then. Def true about roos having 2 barred feather genes and females having 1.
IMG_20190503_165404.jpg
female^ darker
IMG_20190503_165409.jpg

Male^ lighter

Back
Top Bottom