I really hope these barred rocks are girls

Hey everyone! We found someone local willing to take them. I'm going to order 3 started Barred Rock pullets online. I've looked at the popular choices and am considering Meyer since they are closer to where I live so the shipping is vastly cheaper than Mypetchicken, Cackle Hatchery, and Murray McMurray. Anyone have experience with Meyer or any out companies they could suggest.

Thank you everyone again!

Great news!

We ended up picking up 7 baby chicks from their extra chick bin while driving thru Cleveland after visiting relatives last fall. 2 out of 7 sexed female chicks ended up being male! So, here is where buying started pullets is a good choice, bc there is an error rate to Chick sexing. All those chicks were healthy and grew well. We sold 5 of them at a livestock auction in January, and kept two that are now laying very nice eggs, and they have good temperaments. I hope you enjoy your new pullets!

Hatchery quality chickens aren’t really the same as hand raised local chicken breeder chickens but are quite sweet chickens
We have a hen from a hatchery and she doesn’t look like her breeed as much as she should but she is a very nice hen

Enjoy you new pullets and show us pictures!

Or they read a "wing sexing" tutorial online, or hatched them from "rounder" eggs, or picked them up by the scruff of the neck to see whether they lifted or dropped their feet. You know how it is.
I've read the "signs" of telling the sex of barred rocks online. While the 2 big one show a lot of matching signs as females (dark color with mostly black stripes, smaller head spot as far as I could tell by the time I got them, dark wash on legs) but those crowns coming in THIS early just worries me too much to spend months falling in love with them and the time in money to have to start all over again. The other one (the one I traded for the new one) was so obviously a male.

Hatchery quality chickens aren’t really the same as hand raised local chicken breeder chickens but are quite sweet chickens
We have a hen from a hatchery and she doesn’t look like her breeed as much as she should but she is a very nice hen

Enjoy you new pullets and show us pictures!

I would LOVE to go local, but these people have really turned us off. My wife contacted them again to say we just wanted to give the chickens back, without asking for another trade or our money back. Shows the person saw her message on FB messenger and proceeded to ignore her.

What hatchery did you use? Do you know anything about Meyer?

Great news!

We ended up picking up 7 baby chicks from their extra chick bin while driving thru Cleveland after visiting relatives last fall. 2 out of 7 sexed female chicks ended up being male! So, here is where buying started pullets is a good choice, bc there is an error rate to Chick sexing. All those chicks were healthy and grew well. We sold 5 of them at a livestock auction in January, and kept two that are now laying very nice eggs, and they have good temperaments. I hope you enjoy your new pullets!

Thanks! We had tried to find someone local selling older pullets but no one knew anyone and using local facebook groups came up empty. Probably being so early in the year most people don't have them or they sell off as chickens before they get that big. I really, really hope the online option works out. We're starting to feel so defeated.

I've read the "signs" of telling the sex of barred rocks online. While the 2 big one show a lot of matching signs as females (dark color with mostly black stripes, smaller head spot as far as I could tell by the time I got them, dark wash on legs) but those crowns coming in THIS early just worries me too much to spend months falling in love with them and the time in money to have to start all over again. The other one (the one I traded for the new one) was so obviously a male.
I meant the people who sold them to you. There are books that tell you that if a chick hatches out of a round egg, then the chick will be female. There are many, many sites in the internet that say a chick with alternating longer and shorter feathers is always female. And, of course, if you put a ring on a string and hang it over their heads, if it goes around, it's a girl, and back and forth = male. Yes, that scene on Little House was actually based on something.

A little bit of research will show that of course these don't work. But a lot of people read a sexing technique, say, "yay! I can now sell sexed chicks!" and use it for years, surprised every time they get negative feedback.

As for the chicks, I agree with the statement someone made that they're probably not pure barred rocks, which would make the traits used to sex barred rocks invalid.

ALRIGHT! Murray McMurray is what I went with since they had the soonest delivery date. Pretty dang expensive but as long as they are healthy happy birds (and girls...) it will be worth it. 3 Barred Rock pullets on the way!

ALRIGHT! Murray McMurray is what I went with since they had the soonest delivery date. Pretty dang expensive but as long as they are healthy happy birds (and girls...) it will be worth it. 3 Barred Rock pullets on the way!

For sure they will be girls!! I hope they come to you healthy and will quickly begin to lay eggs for you and family. Enjoy the new girls!

The girls are here! Hennessy, Henocide, and Murder Parade. :p

Attachments

• 20190502_115444.jpg
    20190502_115444.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom