I still need help! Getting desperate!

kait1012

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
My hen is not moving her legs sleeping alot has diarrhea that comes out yellow and watery when i give her a bath. And smells absolutely awful, her butt doesnt look prolapsed but idk. She opens her eyes, looks around eats hard boiled egg oats, drinking water with vitamins and electrolytes. Her comb is droopy and blueish. Its been a week. What treatment should i give her antibiotics or what? Her crop feels hard bumpy and like a small egg. Shes 6 months old the other hens just started laying. Should i give her tylan? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

It sounds like you have a lot going on. Have you checked the crop first thing in the morning when it is supposed to be empty? If it is full and hard then it may be impacted. Are you feeding oats and eggs instead of chicken feed for a reason? I wouldn't think that would be a balanced diet unless you just started this when she got sick. She might possibly have coccidiosis with the diarrhea or maybe that is from the crop. Her weak legs may be because of her sickness. How old is she? Tylan would be more for a respiratory disease or an infection. Have you had any other diseases or ill chickens?

These are our first chickens, they are six months old. I started the diet when she got sick and have tried to give her yogurt too. I tried the couple drops of olive oil trick that i read onlast night and felt her crop this morning feels about thumb sized and hard. But im not sure if i am even checking it right. What antibiotic or antifungus can i get at a farm store that could help her digestion if its an infection?

This problem has turned into another problem entirely! I finally found some chicken antibiotics and she got a bad fever and after a few days of treatment it broke and the color came back to her face and shes been eating like a cow. Her poo is back to normal and shes speaking up more. Except now she still wont use her leg or put it down, she just sort of holds it up and wiggles it up and down. She hops around ok on one leg and ive let her outside for a half hour when i clean her crate. Its been three weeks, i dont know if i should try to wrap it, she doesnt like it when you try to straighten it out. Can a leg injury and sickness go hand and hand like this? It also looks like she has some cracked or dry skin on her knee on that side. Could it just be from laying down too much?

What antibiotic did you give her?

Mycoplasma can sometimes cause tendonitis and bursitis. Salmonella can cause infectious arthritis. I'm sure there are others as well.

Are her stools still yellow? E.Coli is another disease that can get overgrown in a chicken causing all different sorts of symptoms, and it is difficult to treat. I agree with War Chicken in that mycoplasma can cause joint problems. You might want to contact your state vet or local extension agent to see about sending off a stool sample to test for E.Coli.

If she was given Tylan, and that made her better, then that moves Mycoplasma up the list of likely culprits. But Mycoplasma shouldn't cause diarrhea. Tylosin/Tylan isn't very effective these days and is mostly useful against Mycoplasma but even its effectiveness against Mycoplasma has waned.

If she wasn't given Tylan then I'm very curious what antibiotic she was given.

It's hard to clear infections out of joints so it's possible that that one part of the chicken is still infected or is no longer infected but was permanently damaged or isn't permanently damaged but simply needs more time to heal.

I gave her tetroxy HCA or oxytetracyline which is the only soluble antibiotic i could find around here for chickens. Her stools arent yellow anymore. But she does have redness on her hock?

I also gave her apple cider vinegar a couple times in her water. And when she was really sick her crop wasnt swollen huge but it was kinda hard. The antibiotic also says dont give it for more than 14 days so i just gave her plain water today and i noticed a new small white spot on the top of her wattle? I don't really know the right terms. Theyre my moms chickens and shes been on vacation for a month conveiniently, lol.

Back
Top Bottom