I think my chicken is dying and I do not know why - please help!

We have (4) six month old hens and we live in Southwest Florida. Yesterday, towards the end of the day, Goldie (our sweet Easter Egger) started closing her eyes while she was out with the other girls running around the yard. She would be fine one minute and then look like she was dozing off (almost like narcolepsy). We brought her inside into the bathroom for the night and have been giving her vitamins but she is not improving.

The weird part is that she will act fine for a good 5 minutes (ate like food was going out of style) and then the next minute she crashed and can't open her eyes. I plan to take her to the vet this morning because I am at a total loss on what to do. She is our favorite, sweetest chicken and my heart is breaking.

Can anyone think of what could have happened or what we can do to help her?? I thought maybe heat exhaustion since it was so hot yesterday but I keep their coop is in the shade and they have a giant fan on them all day (along with fresh ice water 2 times a day).
In very hot weather even with plenty of water, i have been told they can be electrolite depleated. My 2 cents.

I did not say anything was wrong.Tylonsin would be best ,however,if they have only a people's Amox it may save.birds die extremely fast .no waiting is best.my vet says dose stronger is better when in doubt ,just a couple drops of a strong mixture,tiny water added.They may not want to swallow much.if you even have oxytetracycline.use it now.if no dropper use small straw. But get something.That tail says its critically ill.

I did not say anything was wrong.Tylonsin would be best ,however,if they have only a people's Amox it may save.birds die extremely fast .no waiting is best.my vet says dose stronger is better when in doubt ,just a couple drops of a strong mixture,tiny water added.They may not want to swallow much.if you even have oxytetracycline.use it now.if no dropper use small straw. But get something.That tail says its critically ill.
She is at the vet now.

O.K. Great! Thanks for clarifying, makes total sense now :)

So glad.Let us know.I sincerely hope she recovers.An injection at the vet usually works in minutes,my experience.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom