I think my Lulu might be a Louie.

TicaCielo

Chirping
Mar 22, 2023
Colorado
My 1 and only BLRW is almost 18 weeks old and crowed for the first time the other morning. I know hens can also crow so I thought she wanted to take on that role. Today she/he was trying to mount one of my other hens so I started taking a little notice and well, what do you all think? They were all supposed to be pullets.

Attachments

• IMG_7494.jpeg
    IMG_7494.jpeg
    791.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7501.jpeg
    IMG_7501.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7500.jpeg
    IMG_7500.jpeg
    871.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7495.jpeg
    IMG_7495.jpeg
    919.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7497.jpeg
    IMG_7497.jpeg
    838.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7493.jpeg
    IMG_7493.jpeg
    593.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7499.jpeg
    IMG_7499.jpeg
    773.3 KB · Views: 17
My 1 and only BLRW is almost 18 weeks old and crowed for the first time the other morning. I know hens can also crow so I thought she wanted to take on that role. Today she/he was trying to mount one of my other hens so I started taking a little notice and well, what do you all think? They were all supposed to be pullets.
Hi there! Your rooster in question is 100% not a girl! I made a reply in another thread of someone asking about a chicken being female or male, i’m just copying what i said there since theres not really a point in re typing it all.
210DBB2E-5FA6-476B-BC30-597906CFAB5D.png

This is a rooster. First go to the face, the comb and wattle are very big. This is actually pretty normal to have for even a hen when full grown, however, roosters can develop this much more early on then hens, i’ve even had significant wattle and comb at week 4 for my cockerels.

Next go to the neck, the feathers there that are quite spikey are called hackle feathers. Hens have these feathers but theirs are rounded and not spikey.

Now look at the legs. Many roosters get red on the shank bit of the leg due to hormones, roosters also have thicker legs. Look at the chicken to the left in your third photo there. See her legs? They seem to go in a bit. Now look at the one in question. They are massive and very thick in comparison.

Now go to the overflow of feathers on the side there, those are called saddle feathers. Roosters have a overflow of them and they are again, pointed. Some do not have as many as others.

Roosters also have sickle feathers which drip from their tail and are exclusive to roosters. Often green (though hens can have a green sheen too so that isn’t a way to tell.)

I hope this helped you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Hi there! Your rooster in question is 100% not a girl! I made a reply in another thread of someone asking about a chicken being female or male, i’m just copying what i said there since theres not really a point in re typing it all. View attachment 3565125
This is a rooster. First go to the face, the comb and wattle are very big. This is actually pretty normal to have for even a hen when full grown, however, roosters can develop this much more early on then hens, i’ve even had significant wattle and comb at week 4 for my cockerels.

Next go to the neck, the feathers there that are quite spikey are called hackle feathers. Hens have these feathers but theirs are rounded and not spikey.

Now look at the legs. Many roosters get red on the shank bit of the leg due to hormones, roosters also have thicker legs. Look at the chicken to the left in your third photo there. See her legs? They seem to go in a bit. Now look at the one in question. They are massive and very thick in comparison.

Now go to the overflow of feathers on the side there, those are called saddle feathers. Roosters have a overflow of them and they are again, pointed. Some do not have as many as others.

Roosters also have sickle feathers which drip from their tail and are exclusive to roosters. Often green (though hens can have a green sheen too so that isn’t a way to tell.)

Thank you, that did help. Like I said, I always thought she was a bit odd because she was a little bullyish but I thought since she was a one and only it was an inferiority complex lol.

Hi there! Your rooster in question is 100% not a girl! I made a reply in another thread of someone asking about a chicken being female or male, i’m just copying what i said there since theres not really a point in re typing it all. View attachment 3565125

Beautiful rooster you have :)

Back
Top Bottom