IA here

Quote:
The fair here is the 23rd to the 28th. I'll be doing the blood testing on Sat., then my commitment ends. I will be out of town on the 28th.
A few of the kids were here for for the poultry plunge but not as many as we had hoped for. Probably the heat.

Quote:
15765_babes.jpg

Yes, this is fine black dirt and sevin dust for their spa treatment.

That same thing happened here, Eric. There were a lot of chickens entered for the Linn County Fair, and a little over half showed up. I went to the Cedar Rapids farmers market Saturday morning. I helped with the CR-CLUC booth. (insert evil laugh here)

I've been doing most of my chores in the middle of the night due to the heat.

Quote:
The fair here is the 23rd to the 28th. I'll be doing the blood testing on Sat., then my commitment ends. I will be out of town on the 28th.
A few of the kids were here for for the poultry plunge but not as many as we had hoped for. Probably the heat.

Had a new experience yesterday. In my few years of chickening, I had never experienced this issue although I'd heard about or of it. I have an incubator going and noticed a smell a few days ago but could not sniff it out or see anything. Last night, the odor was definite especially upon opening the bator and there it was... a Buttercup egg that must have exploded. There was dried yolk on the outside and it was cracked down the side... Quickly and carefully I picked the egg up but the shell did not hold together. Only thing that saved me was the internal membrane. I ran it over to the mop sink and turned on the cold water and set to work bashing it up and getting it down the drain. It was black and nasty and putrid inside but I managed to get it broken up and flushed down the drain followed by lots of cold water and bleach! Then added a mild bleach water solution to the incubator to kill any lingering bacteria.
What a nasty mess! Yuck!

Quote:
Yeah - that happened to me last week but it did explode completely and spewed nasty egg all over the bator. It killed my only developing frizzle egg that was sitting next to it
hmm.png

Not a fun mess to clean up...

Quote:
Hi there! I'm in Maquoketa, so really close to you!
big_smile.png
Welcome!

Super close! Awesome. My SIL is by Lost Nation we go up there often.

How are you guys beating this heat?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

I'm right on the south side of Des Moines - the closest person I think to you is ChickBond007 AKA Michelle. SHe doesn't post much as she has a very busy life with two teenage sons.

Where were you at before Iowa?

Back
Top Bottom