IA here

Quote:
It was nice to meet you too! I found the missing hen yesterday - she is sitting on about 20 eggs in the machine shed
roll.png
I usually keep it closed up so I'm not sure if she has had anything to eat or drink in the past 3 days! The cats have a bolt hole so it's possible she was gettin out
idunno.gif
She has food and water in there now, poor thing.

Lost a pekin duck
hmm.png
one night, don't close them in and something goes and gets one. Another one looks like it has bite marks on it's beak. I put the wire under the hutch now, and we will wire the door shut at night so that #(&%#@( predator isn't getting anymore birds!! I didn't look at the door thing yet to the chicken pen, but Jerrit said it looked like it had scratches on it like whatever it was tried to get to them.

Found a duck leg in a patch of thistle :\\ jerrit saw a hole up at the top he doesn't remember being htere. Idk if coons live in holes if that was it. But there are lots of droppings up there, big ones. If we think it's one, well we will probably do it anyway. Blow the hole up lol and whatever is in it. Oh and I forgot we looked for it again now because I swear I heard a rooster crowing, and thought it was the iowa blue. Idk what it was. Can turkeys make noises like roosters crowing? I didn't think it was mine, or well how it sounded didnt' sound like him so I thought something was bothering them.

Eric, you said the poultry plunge is rescheduled to this Saturday, the 16th? Is that correct? I haven't heard anything other than what you said here. If it is.....what time?

Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
Joy, I may have told you 1:30 to 3:00 but it is 1 to 3. Half an hour wont make much difference. you can always call the extension office for exact times. We have a very relaxed schedule planned, nothing serious or budget breaking. i will cover much ground, as far as bathing, keeping them clean for the show, touch ups, using glycerin or vet RX to shine up legs and combs. Trimming beaks and toes, using powder or peremethrin dip, worming, placing birds in and removing them from the show cage, holding them so they are easier to control and general getting to know your bird and handling techniques to keep them calm and avoid struggling so you look like you know what you're doing. we will also discuss what age bird is appropriate. What the judges want to see and how they base their assesments. Then we will have lemonade, punch, ice tea, cookies etc! It's gonna be warm and our deck will be shaded at that time so it will be hot but comfortable. I will also have a couple of copies of the bantam Standard of Perfection to look at some other magazines and some 4-H related web sites. To cool off, we will come inside and I'll have a slide show via laptop to tv of some of my birds and places they have been. I will also have some chicks and roos to gie away. Very pretty ones!

Mailed our (mine and Davids) State Fair forms on the 13th. I'd made some last minute changes (moulting) and was in to big of a hurry, and forgot to copy them! Had to call down and ask that they email me a copy. The lady kind of chuckled and said it was no problem. I can't guess about the correct birds!

Steph... will I see you at the fair this year? Our schedule is to arrive on the 12th, drop off the birds and do some minor sight seeing. We are going to Loras family rebellion on the 13th in Boone, be there most of the day. On the 14th back for a whole day of fair stuff. I bought each of the boys one of those one day unlimited all rides free passes, wasn't free for me but they are excited. Then we will leave Des Moines on the morning of the 15th.
Lora, has a meeting on the 16th. On the 17th we leave for Deadwood, SD. We will be in the Mt. Rushmore area for a couple of days then to Deadwood and head back home on the 21st. Trying to squeeze in a last minute vacay.
Normally I would not go so far for a wedding but this nephew and I were pretty close when he was younger and he and his fiance have been playing house for far to long! It's about time someone made a honest man out of him!!! He is not one to be gone from the farm for very long. They chose Deadwood cause it's 1/2 way between her hometown in MT and their farm here in NW IA. That 8 hr. drive is gonna kill me!

I will be at the fair on the 14th - not showing, but making sure I come to see everyones chickens and the ducks. I also will be volunteering at the Iowa Civil Rights booth from 3-6 pm in the varied industries building. AHHHH air conditioning. Not sure if Mike will be coming with me to the fair or not. He doesn't like to be out in the heat.

No I am working for Americorps this summer and we have to have 300 hours in by the end of August - this "gig" came up and I took it
smile.png

Apparently we are just doing a quiz on Civil Rights.

Sounds like your a busy man Eric! we have our fair starting up here in a couple weeks and i hope it cools down some since I'm the poultry and goat supervisor now.it will be hot sitting in the poultry building all week,the poultry building is only a couple years old now but for some reason they never put air conditioning in it?we have about 70 birds entered this year for 4-h,don't know how many there will be yet for the open class? Mike

I am new to owning chickens. Mine are 13 weeks old and doing great! I follow this thread regularly living here in eastern iowa. I was wondering about two things. First, at what age do the chickens need wormed and how regularly does it need done. Secondly, I saw a comment some time back that someone had a large frying pan that they use with dirt and i believe the sevin powder for the chickens to take dust baths in to help with mites, etc. I don't believe they have mites right now but I would like to provide this so they don't get them or to control them. Is this correct that this can be done and if so what is the ratio of dirt to sevin powder? Thanks for any input you might have about both of these questions. Try to stay cool this week!

Back
Top Bottom