Icelandic Chickens

no Jake, she an Isbar! A swede. They aren't tough like Icelandics!
wink.png

I can't keep myIcelandic girl on a single nest. She is flatter than a pancake, growling like a mean momma bear, but one day she's in box #2, then next box #1 Then over to 3, back to 2, clear down to 5, back to two
barnie.gif

I'm going to try building a broody bin (almost like a looney bin only not so offensive
wink.png
) under the Nella Bean Brooder to see if she'll nest in there. Maybe if she doesn't have options she'll quit hoppin from one to the next
roll.png

Welcome back Michelle !

Pop her into a brooder and wish her well .
D.gif

Mary Swedes might be a little bit tough ! Kinda like adopted Icelandics ! You said all along she was an Isbar, I just have Icees on the brain. I wouldnt be surprised if way back they wernt kissing cousins anyhow. If any native Swedish lines were used for them.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Vetericyn's active ingredient is Sodium Hypochlorite, which is to say, household bleach greatly diluted.
It is actively used in Oral Surgeries and as an irrigant for root canals in us humans.
Some here in WA state were buying it for rain scald on horses & other animals that are so wet constantly as to grow fungal infections in their skin.
I use a bleach solution here in all my water for chickens & animals.
2 cups of bleach (unscented) in 1 gal of water, seal & mark the jug.
Then give 1 Tablespoon per gallon in the bird's water for well birds, and 2 Tablespoons per gallon for bird water for sick birds.
For use in irrigation of wounds, you can do 2 Tablespoons of the solution in 1 gallon of water & use that for wound cleaning, rain scald, hoof rot, or sterilizing counters, etc.
I spray & let it dry.
I also use this for sterilizing butchering sinks & cones, knives, & any instruments.
This recipe came from The U of WA (WSU avian health) and the SPPA, (Doc Everett)
here is one story:
http://www.westvet.com/collibacilliosis.htm

Can eliminate all pathogens (that I know of) that are antibiotic resistant...plain old bleach!

Hope your girl gets better & hope no more have it!!

Last edited:
Hi,
I represent Vetericyn and would like to give you some information on the product relative to this discussion.
Bleach is a highly toxic corrosive liquid that will cause extensive damage if accidentally ingested or applied in the eye. Vetericyn is very different from bleach, in that it does not bleach or stain clothing, does not require gloves or other equipment to use, and does not have harmful, toxic vapors. Vetericyn is pH neutral, and as safe as water to use. Vetericyn may even be applied directly in the eye, and is 100% non-toxic and biodegradable. Vetericyn will not cause injury if accidentally licked or ingested. When a harmful pathogen enters the body, the immune system naturally engulfs the cell with neutrophils. The neutrophils generate an oxychlorine compound which destroys the cell structure of the pathogen. This process is called the oxidative burst. Vetericyn works by imitating the body’s own immune system. Our products contain no steroids or antibiotics, and tests free in all performance animals. Vetericyn promotes the growth of healthy tissue by increasing oxygen to the area it’s applied. No rinsing is required after application, and there are no known contraindications or drug interactions. Vetericyn is clinically proven to be 70 times more effective as an antimicrobial than diluted bleach.
If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to call our toll free number (866-318-3116) or visit us online at http://www.vetericyn.com

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/vetericyn
Follow
us on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/vetericyn

Is Vetericyn just “diluted bleach”?
No. Diluted bleach is also known as Dakin’s Solution and is made as needed with varying concentrations and does not have a long shelf life. Although Vetericyn contains trace amounts of sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in Vetericyn is Hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is a very effective for eliminating microorganisms, but is naturally unstable. Vetericyn has been able to stabilize its formulas and achieve 18 months of shelf life to date.

In addition, Vetericyn products are formulated targeting around pH 7.0 (neutral point); whereas "Diluted bleach", or Dakin’s solution, normally has to have a pH of over 11 to achieve equal effectiveness in killing pathogens. Also, Dakin’s Solution harms healthy tissue while Vetericyn does not.

Finally, Vetericyn is 100% non-toxic and can safely be used around the eyes, nose and mouth while Dakin’s Solution cannot make that claim. As Vetericyn is manufactured within an appropriate physiological pH range, it does not ting while in use.

From here:
http://www.healthydrinkingwaterblog...lorine-in-drinking-water-ask-the-chickens-37/

Dr. Joseph Price wrote a very divisive book in the late sixties titled Coronaries/ Cholesterol/ Chlorine. Dr. Price concluded, “Nothing can negate the incontrovertible fact, the basic cause of atherosclerosis and resulting entities such as heart attacks and stroke, is chlorine.”

After writing that book, Dr. Price headed a study of chlorine in drinking water. The study used several hundred chickens as test subjects. One group always had chlorine in drinking water; the other drank water without chlorine. Nothing else in their environment and care differed. At death, each chicken was autopsied.

* The chickens raised with chlorine in drinking water all showed some level of heart or circulatory disease. The group that drank chlorine-free water had no disease.
* The chickens raised with chlorine in drinking water, when subjected to winter conditions, showed poor circulation. They shivered. Their feathers dropped. They became less active. The group that drank chlorine-free water did not show such reactions to the cold.
* The chickens that drank chlorine-free water grew faster and larger. They displayed vigorous health. The group that were raised with chlorine in drinking water were smaller, took longer to mature, and were less healthy.

The poultry industry was amazed – and took action to preserve the health of their chickens. Most large poultry farms began – and continue – to use water that does not contain chlorine.

Obviously, we have a lesson to learn from the chickens.​

We have had disease free birds & dogs, cats, etc including ourselves as long as we chlorinate our water.
period.
After working in the water business...I have come to greatly appreciate the fact that clean coliform free water is the basis for health as long as it is delt with the correct amounts.
I will not agrue with either the University of Washington nor the SPPA in their findings, either.
We use it in our well water...we did not at first..and learned a hard lesson for it.
I will never go without chlorinating our water.
We use the same recipe for our own water.
I wash my face & eyes always...it is in everyone in every city's water system.
In the correct proportions it is safe & will not harm eyes.
If used in a larger portion, of course it can be hazardous as are all chemicals.
We have a well system, our neighbor's have a spring water system, with a bleach injector which injects the correct amount into the spring water per gallon...and this is the correct amount
wink.png

Chlorine in Water
I'm no expert, but when it comes down to it, I look at it this way, as Ben Franklin so aptly stated;

In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there is Freedom
In Water there is Bacteria

and that's why I drink wine and beer.

Back
Top Bottom