cloverhs

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
Spring, Texas
So we have a two week old Self Blue d'Anver chick, Fig. We got him February 11th along with 16 other varied bantams (*not Ideal's choice of assorted bantams, we picked them all out ourselves!). I got three d'Anvers in total, 1 Quail d'Anver, 1 Blue Quail d'Anver, and the chick of the hour, Fig, a Self Blue d'Anver. Fig is just like his fellow d'Anvers except... he's got feathers on his legs !!!🤯🧐
Now before you say the obvious thing, that either myself or Ideal Poultry simply made a mistake and Fig's just a different, feathered-legged breed, let give you some things to consider before you get too hasty in your replies!

If your guess might be cochin, you should know in our order we also got a Lavender Cochin bantam, that we call Poppy, and she's(?) about twice the size of Fig! (I attached comparison images, Poppy is the bigger one on the left). The 3 d'Anvers are notably smaller than the rest of the bantams, though they're all the same age at two weeks old.

And before you guess d'Uccle - which is basically a feather-legged cousin to the clean-legged d'Anver - we also got one of each d'Uccle type available (3) in our order, and Ideal Poultry does not sell any Self Blue d'Uccles. Also - our d'Uccle chicks have more of a beard going on around the neck area and the d'Anvers not so much, they look more like dainty little OEGB chicks.

Another important detail, on the printed sticker receipt of our Ideal Poultry order that we got attached to our box of baby chicks, everything is exactly as we ordered. Including 1 Self Blue d'Anver and 1 Lavender/Self Blue Cochin, no other Self Blues/Lavenders were included or missing.
Help us solve this mystery! Although we love Fig, hairy legs or not, we've never had d'Anvers before and I do like that they're (supposed to be) clean-legged. Please leave a reply if you have anything insightful to add! I'd really like to know if this is a mutation or a mistake, and if I should contact Ideal Poultry or if i'm just a dummy :)

Attachments

• IMG_7654.jpg
    IMG_7654.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7653.jpg
    IMG_7653.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7655.jpg
    IMG_7655.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 41
  • fig & poppy 02.jpg
    fig & poppy 02.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 39
  • fig & poppy 01.jpg
    fig & poppy 01.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IDEAL POULTRY'S SELF BLUE D'ANVER.png
    IDEAL POULTRY'S SELF BLUE D'ANVER.png
    531 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I noticed their feet color is different as well. Maybe this could be a different breed, such as a lavender cochin or something similar? It could also be a mis of some sort and you happened to get the feathered legs ones.

Could be a booted bantam, d’uccle, or a cochin bantam. You can’t be sure at this age.
He's way smaller than all four of the Bantam Cochins we got, so I don't think he could be a cochin. The cochin in the comparison photo is a bantam cochin and is still that much bigger. We got only bantams in our order and the d'Anvers are the smallest of them all, and he's the same size as the other d'Anvers, teeny tiny.

I noticed their feet color is different as well. Maybe this could be a different breed, such as a lavender cochin or something similar? It could also be a mis of some sort and you happened to get the feathered legs ones.
Good catch! I never noticed the feet/leg color differing from IP's advertised picture of the self blue d'Anvers before, and all the other d'Anvers have those dark grey-ish colored legs. Wow, can't believe I didn't notice that for two weeks!

Last edited:
One way to tell the difference between D'Anvers and D'Uccles besides the feathered legs is comb type. D'Anvers should have rose combs, D'Uccles should have single combs. So if your bird has a rose comb, then I would call it a D'Anvers that just happens to have feathered legs. And if it's a single comb, then I would call it a D'Uccle.

So we have a two week old Self Blue d'Anver chick, Fig. We got him February 11th along with 16 other varied bantams (*not Ideal's choice of assorted bantams, we picked them all out ourselves!). I got three d'Anvers in total, 1 Quail d'Anver, 1 Blue Quail d'Anver, and the chick of the hour, Fig, a Self Blue d'Anver. Fig is just like his fellow d'Anvers except... he's got feathers on his legs !!!🤯🧐
Now before you say the obvious thing, that either myself or Ideal Poultry simply made a mistake and Fig's just a different, feathered-legged breed, let give you some things to consider before you get too hasty in your replies!

If your guess might be cochin, you should know in our order we also got a Lavender Cochin bantam, that we call Poppy, and she's(?) about twice the size of Fig! (I attached comparison images, Poppy is the bigger one on the left). The 3 d'Anvers are notably smaller than the rest of the bantams, though they're all the same age at two weeks old.

And before you guess d'Uccle - which is basically a feather-legged cousin to the clean-legged d'Anver - we also got one of each d'Uccle type available (3) in our order, and Ideal Poultry does not sell any Self Blue d'Uccles. Also - our d'Uccle chicks have more of a beard going on around the neck area and the d'Anvers not so much, they look more like dainty little OEGB chicks.

Another important detail, on the printed sticker receipt of our Ideal Poultry order that we got attached to our box of baby chicks, everything is exactly as we ordered. Including 1 Self Blue d'Anver and 1 Lavender/Self Blue Cochin, no other Self Blues/Lavenders were included or missing.
Help us solve this mystery! Although we love Fig, hairy legs or not, we've never had d'Anvers before and I do like that they're (supposed to be) clean-legged. Please leave a reply if you have anything insightful to add! I'd really like to know if this is a mutation or a mistake, and if I should contact Ideal Poultry or if i'm just a dummy :)
I bought last year from Ideal Poultry and never again! I was given a crossbeak Polish, and Frazzle. Buyer Beware of IP.

Back
Top Bottom