Ideas/help needed with run for ducks

Either way you'll not be able to walk in there once you get the roof on unless you have a way to lift the roof up to clean. So maybe hinge the panels and instead of one long one make 2 half so it would be easier to lift and then you could put some kind of heavy duty latch to keep them from being lifted up unless it is you doing it. Oh I forgot you don't have raccoons but hey still would be a good idea to be able to latch the 2 tops together. I'd just go with flat laying down on top . They look great and how nice to have the person only 30mins away.

Hi Gracie :frow

Have you changed your mind about the run and the coop or have I misread something?

then there’s this one which I like and it’s big but would need to make a roof? And would also need one panel off to attach to coop

The run will be separate from coop so I can clean it out easier. :)

I was going to say that the panel you took off to attach the coop could be used to partially cover the rest, and then maybe something a bit more solid to fill the gap to provide shade/rain cover, but then if you want it separate then you'd need the fourth side! haha
I think with some thought and planning you could configure the panels you have, especially if you use them longer with less height to make a run and cover the roof to some extent.

Will the playhouse be their coop?

Hi Gracie :frow

Have you changed your mind about the run and the coop or have I misread something?

I was going to say that the panel you took off to attach the coop could be used to partially cover the rest, and then maybe something a bit more solid to fill the gap to provide shade/rain cover, but then if you want it separate then you'd need the fourth side! haha
I think with some thought and planning you could configure the panels you have, especially if you use them longer with less height to make a run and cover the roof to some extent.

Will the playhouse be their coop?

Hello Emma! :D:frow

Yes the playhouse will be their coop! I totally see where you’re coming from, thank you for your advice. :hugsThe panels are quite large (don’t know what i was expecting really lol!) but the key question is how to arrange them and add a roof somehow. You reminded me that they do indeed need some part of the roof covered as wild birds will peck at their food otherwise and it’s super annoying. I was think some sort or tarpaulin? What do you think X

Can you just put hardware cloth or something similar over the top since you won't be able to climb in that would be a good top. Then maybe part of it put a tarp over to keep part of it dry and provide shade.

Either way you'll not be able to walk in there once you get the roof on unless you have a way to lift the roof up to clean. So maybe hinge the panels and instead of one long one make 2 half so it would be easier to lift and then you could put some kind of heavy duty latch to keep them from being lifted up unless it is you doing it. Oh I forgot you don't have raccoons but hey still would be a good idea to be able to latch the 2 tops together. I'd just go with flat laying down on top . They look great and how nice to have the person only 30mins away.

True, I think we have had to abandon the idea of a walk in run. The ones you can buy cost many pounds lol. Going to go with your suggestion about the roof and hinge them - as well as hinge a side panel and create a door so they can come out of the run with ease! And bolts to be added too! Who knew how much thought goes into creating these things? But it’s so much fun! :D

Can you just put hardware cloth or something similar over the top since you won't be able to climb in that would be a good top. Then maybe part of it put a tarp over to keep part of it dry and provide shade.

Yeah I think that’s what we will do initially, we don’t have to worry about hawks and such, just anything else that can jump and climb (everything lol!) thank you! You’re ever so kind and helpful! And I’m so new to all of this but learning so much at the same time x

Not sure a tarp would withstand a fox attack :/ otherwise that could have solved two issues! Maybe if there's a better alternative that would still work I could explain how I mean ;)
If you were to have the run attached would you be able to access both sides? If you could then there is a way you could have it attached but removable, and you would have extra panels to work with for your roof, then a tarp over the wire top would certainly be okay!
(by the way, it's not a b&m playhouse is it?)

Not sure a tarp would withstand a fox attack :/ otherwise that could have solved two issues! Maybe if there's a better alternative that would still work I could explain how I mean ;)
If you were to have the run attached would you be able to access both sides? If you could then there is a way you could have it attached but removable, and you would have extra panels to work with for your roof, then a tarp over the wire top would certainly be okay!
(by the way, it's not a b&m playhouse is it?)
When I suggested tarp, I meant over hardware cloth. Or she could put corrugated plastic roof material. That might be expensive though, but it would allow light to shine through.

Sorry @Soon2BChixMom, that wasn't in response to your comment, it was hers about did I think a tarp would do to provide cover, yours and other replies came in while I was typing one of my typically long replies, and Im slow on my phone! Sorry if I crossed the wires and caused offence :oops:

Back
Top Bottom