Ideas/help needed with run for ducks

Our local school (my daughters school) closed with the first run of snow, and then the head closed it again on the second wave but I said I reckon he only did it cos he could see the smallish amount we had was starting to melt and he thought he'd miss his chance to have a snow day with his own kids if he had to come to work :gig

We only have 4 rabbits now, at one point we were up to 13 tho! Three boys and a girl, opposite to the ducks, and they are lionheads, very much similar to the colour/markings or your little one in your picture, expect Pumpkin - I'm sure you can guess he's more of an orangey colour :lol:

I'm ashamed to say that they are already right next to the drain, but I don't think it was really built to handle duck waste :sick I'm managing to stay on top of it a bit more now that I have tried to built a little waste trap to stop it blocking although it's ability to clog was pretty exceptional already so I'm not sure it will help much :hmm the slabs aren't exactly leveled towards the drain so I mostly spend my time trying to keep the run off from making it's way into next doors garden.... :hmm I too would rather put some bedding down but also would then need to cover the run to keep it dry. I wouldn't be too worried about slugs, I'm sure the ducks would love getting rid of them!

:)View attachment 1329898 View attachment 1329901 View attachment 1329900 View attachment 1329897 @Soon2BChixMom, @Miss Lydia @gilbert2 and @Emmaxx - thank you all for your help and suggestions:hugs you have all been so inspiring and today I built the run. I’m so happy with it. Originally, I left it with no roof but then with two panels left over I decided to create a ‘semi roof’ where I could put their food out of the way of wild birds and can add tarp (on top of panel) to provide shelter :D I’ll be adding more panels in the future for the roof and for now, will add mesh on top. The ducks love it!! Plus they can see Jemima (who is free) and bond again.

I managed to create a door with a hinge and bolt, it’s not A+ standard but I’m proud of it anyway :) now it needs preserving and painting!

@gilbert2 so sorry you lost your flock twice!! I certainly would never have thought of crows as being predators and we have loads of them here. Thank you for sharing and warning!

What did you use to make that ramp into the pool?

Our local school (my daughters school) closed with the first run of snow, and then the head closed it again on the second wave but I said I reckon he only did it cos he could see the smallish amount we had was starting to melt and he thought he'd miss his chance to have a snow day with his own kids if he had to come to work :gig

We only have 4 rabbits now, at one point we were up to 13 tho! Three boys and a girl, opposite to the ducks, and they are lionheads, very much similar to the colour/markings or your little one in your picture, expect Pumpkin - I'm sure you can guess he's more of an orangey colour :lol:

I'm ashamed to say that they are already right next to the drain, but I don't think it was really built to handle duck waste :sick I'm managing to stay on top of it a bit more now that I have tried to built a little waste trap to stop it blocking although it's ability to clog was pretty exceptional already so I'm not sure it will help much :hmm the slabs aren't exactly leveled towards the drain so I mostly spend my time trying to keep the run off from making it's way into next doors garden.... :hmm I too would rather put some bedding down but also would then need to cover the run to keep it dry. I wouldn't be too worried about slugs, I'm sure the ducks would love getting rid of them!

Haha that's probably exactly what he was thinking! Why not take advantage of the snow and ice when we can right?!

Aww they sound adorable, love the name Pumpkin too. Rabbit's are such lovely animals and adore human company as well as their own.

Ah I see lol! The wonders of duck poop right?! I think you're doing an amazing job already, we simply can't adapt everything! Ah with slugs, I read somewhere on here they carry mites, which I never knew/noticed so they are extra gross now :barnie

@llombardo Hi :) I purchased it from our local pet store so maybe you could find one in yours. Although I'd say they would be very easy to make, it's basically just a couple of sticks of wood nailed together, it does fall apart after spending so much time in the water though and therefore the nails can be dangerous.

@llombardo Hi :) I purchased it from our local pet store so maybe you could find one in yours. Although I'd say they would be very easy to make, it's basically just a couple of sticks of wood nailed together, it does fall apart after spending so much time in the water though and therefore the nails can be dangerous.
I wonder if you could tie it together with twine? Like use macrame knots. Is macrame even still a hobby? My mother used to do it. :lol:

I nearly said we hatched them then but what I mean is they were born here wouldn't it be wonderful if rabbits laid eggs tho! It was a litter of 3 in October (2015) so I called them pumpkin, patch and peanut (snoopy reference) then we had 7 more babies that Christmas!

Ewww, I hadn't thought of that til you said but I have seen slugs with things crawling on them before :sick I hate them even more now! Would they affect the ducks if they ate them though?

I wonder if you could tie it together with twine? Like use macrame knots. Is macrame even still a hobby? My mother used to do it. :lol:

I don't know what is lol knot tying? I'm sure it's still a hobby anyway... :D

@Emmaxx You have hatching on the brain! It would be in the Guinness world record if rabbits started laying eggs :lau Very cute names indeed. I have ten giant lops myself :love

I know right, slugs with mites, really really digusting!! @Miss Lydia you're not alone there, my adult ducks aren't so keen on them! So we just resort to salt rings around the coop/hutches/backgarden lol.

Back
Top Bottom