Illinois...

So this is a 3 month old lav Orpington and it looks like she has a crazy cowlick-her feather pattern is just messy. And some of her feathers always look patchy, ruffled and curled. Is this normal? My buff Orpington looks perfect, every feather in just the right place. This one always looks like this, especially with the cowlick on the left of her neck :D Could she have the frizzle gene and it be coming thru? I don't care, I'm just curious. I think it's a recessive gene so it could have snuck into the hatchery unnoticed.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sRSn0k4jLpc?feature=share
The lavender gene causes some feather issues . Fretting I think they call it . Could not tell if that is what you have . Breeders cross to black once in awhile to combat feather issues . Lavender is a recessive dilution of black .

Mites! Also known as chiggers. Many of us battling them lately. My first year seeing them
We were outside all day Friday and my boys had bites all over themselves :( My mom told me as a kid to paint the bites with clear nail polish to suffocate them ( now I'm curious if that actually works). We called them chiggers; I didn't realize they're actually mites...

Also, my peas are done in the garden. Any suggestions on what I can plant in their place? Or do I just leave it open?

Any suggestions on what I can plant in their place?
Consider flowers from seeds. or rescues flowers from homecenter clearance racks.
I have no suggestions on eatable items, since many wont mature, and many don't tolerate the intense warmth now.
@BReeder! has green thumbs,,, lets hear his suggestions :old :thumbsup

We watched via TV the fantastic fireworks display at Navy Pier. Lasted I think 12 minutes. was well done and to music
download.gif

So this is a 3 month old lav Orpington and it looks like she has a crazy cowlick-her feather pattern is just messy. And some of her feathers always look patchy, ruffled and curled. Is this normal? My buff Orpington looks perfect, every feather in just the right place. This one always looks like this, especially with the cowlick on the left of her neck :D Could she have the frizzle gene and it be coming thru? I don't care, I'm just curious. I think it's a recessive gene so it could have snuck into the hatchery unnoticed.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sRSn0k4jLpc?feature=share
I agree with @jerryse. People who breed lavenders must have blacks in their breeding programs to breed the black back in for feather quality. @Faraday40 and I both have blacks with our lavs to help prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom