I'm adopting a greyhound. (one pict)

Big congratulations! Greyhounds are WONDERFUL dogs. She looks like a sweetie and I am glad she is getting a good loving home
smile.png

Have fun, post more pics once she's home with you
smile.png

Pat

smile.png

Great decision!! My sister adopted an ex-racer about 10 years ago. The dog is wonderful!! It took some work and time for him to fit into family life, but WELL WORTH the effort. In the beginning he was a bit skittish and would dart out the door if given the chance (chasing a greyhound around the block isn't fun....they run fast). I will never forget when the police brought him home in the back of the cop car. They were impressed, and think they had as much fun chasing him as he did running. From day 1 he was great with the kids and other critters. Lion is slowing down and turning silver now, but everyone still loves him to pieces.

Sending good vibes to you!! Hope it is a Long, happy relationship.

Retired greyhounds are registered with the NGA already. Some owners will turn their dogs over to adoption groups with the papers so you can send that to the NGA (with a donation) to change the registered owners name. Not all owners do this. You can hunt down the registered owners name and send them the paperwork to fill out, but again, not all owners will fill it out and send it back (some will).

If you call the NGA with ear tat info, they can give you the info they have on file for the registered owner.

My male came with his original bertillion. A friend actually just married the brother of my boy's original owner - the entire family is involved in racing.
My female - meh, not much known about her.

I didn't change the owners name for my male and didn't even look into it for my female. Not important to me - I know I'm their owner, I'm the one that pays for their food and vet care lol

Site to search by name/info
http://www.greyhound-data.com/breed.htm

This is my baby:
http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=Hallo+Aristocrat&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

Dog I followed for a quick while here in Mobile this summer/fall:
http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=almost+alsaka&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

Last edited:
I am reviving this thread.....been thinking about adopting a greyhound from our shelter. I've had Borzois so I like to know a bit more about them.

The run down on this dog, its a blue merle greyhound dog, named Cesar. He is (I'm guessing) 9 mos to 3 years old. He looks a bit smaller than Borzois. Lovely blue eyes that just talks to you. Whilst all the other dogs barked so loud, he just sat there looking at me with goreous eyes and "laid back demeanor". Not timid or shy but knows you are looking at him.

Hubby went out there today, (I was unable to go because of a cold and don't want to spread it to everyone and anyone near me), he said the dog was a dream! So well manned, heeled correctly, come when called and was able to "sit" upon command when asked. Now both of us have seen him separately, Monday we will go back and see all of us together with my daughter who is a 7 year old and likes to speak loud sometimes, read, etc. and "dress up dogs" (friend's dogs). I do not know how this dog will react but did say that he likes kids but in a shelter you just don't know how much in depth they will do tests on the dog. He has been in the shelter since July of last year, abandoned by his owners. No story on how it happened but him and his brother (black with white) were given up together.

Since I have shied from shelters because of the LONG list of things like "hard to adopt" and they go overboard on what you should do and not do when it gets to be impractical or unreasonable at times (we all have read the posts on adoptions being denied) and the politics involved. So if and when we do decide to take this boy a "trial home" or be able to foster him, we are ready for him. I am a stay at home mom so thankfully it is not a puppy that requires alot of attention or needs to be housebroken. I do not WANT a puppy, but a well mannered dog that likes to do and go things like family.

I want to do a trial basis on this dog. I feel that 30 days isn't long enough for the dog and family to get really know each other at that point. 60 days would be more like it. However the shelter will NOT to foster unless it is close to the holidays which I don't understand. That shelter has about 90 to 95% pit bull or pit mixes so why is it unreasonable for me to ask for a longer time for trial to "foster with possibly to adopt" the dog?

So we have much to think about and I have to write down questions about the dog, how to foster him (because I want to know how he will get along with my daughter).

Any of you have any problems "fostering" dogs from the shelter which they do not want to do the fostering but adopting right out? If so, how long did you take to take action to foster to adopt?

I have adopted three Borzois and all of them were wonderful. They came directly from the breeder that got the dogs (except for one, was an ex show dog) that an older couple had to go to a nursing home. The breeder got to know them about a couple of months before she handed the dogs to me so she can tell me exactly their quirks, disposition and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom