Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
My chicken has impacted crop that I believe has turned into sour crop (a little smelly) I have massaged and massaged and it doesn't seem to be working. I read that a chicken like this should have no access to food as it can make it worse. So yesterday I took away her food and put her in a cage with just water, with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in the water. What else would you recommend. This morning nothing had really changed. Should I let her eat later today or what. I don't know how long a chicken can go with no food. She's pretty overweight anyway so i didn't think it would hurt but what would you do? I also bought garlic which I plan on putting in her water later on today that I read online but wasn't told how much to add. I want to avoid the vet if all possible since I just took another there and since I dont have much money.

azygous

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Garlic and ACV are preventatives, not treatments for sour crop. To treat a yeast infection (Candida) which is what sour crop is, you need an anti-yeast med like miconazole which is a women's vaginal yeast cream.

Impacted crop, which can lead to sour crop if not promptly treated and cleared, is treated with coconut oil and stool softener. This one requires massage while it's not advisable to massage sour crop due to the crop liquid backing up into the airway.

This will give you some background on crop disorders and how to treat them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Top Bottom