Pics

Marynnaaa

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2017
Sacramento
So I have 2 silkie Bantam eggs in my incubator and I put them in at Sunday 12am I'm not sure what day there are at but i know it's 18 or 19 for sure. So if they are at 18 then I put them in on day 17 for lockdown and increased humidity to 60-70%. they originally were around 100-102 temp and 40-50 humidity. So over night the humidity spiked to 79%! I'm really nervous that I accidently killed them. I candles the eggs before lockdown and I saw them moving and a saw ones what looked to be toes. So far the have not moved in the incubator, and I heard they should give in the egg and peep but I don't hear or see anything. I will wait till day 25 max. Is there a chance they are alive.

Hi! I'm a little confused. What date did you set these eggs?

If they have been incubated for 18 days or more, then yes, they are ready for lockdown. 79 percent is a little high, but it won't kill them. I'd try to keep the humidity around 65 to 70 percent. You say the temperature was around 100 to 102, is this a still air incubator?

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a little confused. What date did you set these eggs? You're saying they're day 18 or 19, but then also something about putting them on day 17, so I'm not sure what that means. Do you mean you put them in lockdown on day 17, and they are now on day 18?

If they have been incubated for 18 days or more, then yes, they are ready for lockdown. 79 percent is a little high, but it won't kill them. I'd try to keep the humidity around 65 to 70 percent. You say the temperature was around 101 to 102, is this a still air incubator?
Ok so I think they have been incubating around 18 to 19 days but I put them on lockdown yesterday. On the first day of lockdown it went up to 79% but I brought it down. Should the eggs be moving or making noise by now, because they aren't.

Ok so I think they have been incubating around 18 to 19 days but I put them on lockdown yesterday. On the first day of lockdown it went up to 79% but I brought it down. Should the eggs be moving or making noise by now, because they aren't.

Don't worry, it's actually not all that common for eggs to move around before they hatch. As for peeping, you can sometimes hear them peeping after the internally pip if you hold the egg up to your ear and tap it, but otherwise you probably won't hear anything until they externally pip.

Yes they should still be alive, I've had the humidity spike to 99% for the entire 19th day and they still hatched, they just took longer to dry off after hatching. I've found incubating just can't replace what the mother hen does though so please don't be disappointed if they don't hatch though, the chances of hatching in an incubator is very low and often it's not your fault. Once I put 12 eggs in the incubator and only 1 hatched after all my effort. If your eggs don't hatch then just try again, maybe put a few more eggs in. It sounds like you've been doing everything right though

've found incubating just can't replace what the mother hen does though so please don't be disappointed if they don't hatch though, the chances of hatching in an incubator is very low and often it's not your fault.

:welcome!

While it is true that we will never be as good as a hen is at incubating, it's actually not true that eggs in an incubator have a very low chance of hatching. If you have a good incubator that maintains temperature well, have a calibrated, accurate thermometer, and a calibrated, accurate hygrometer, and are incubating within the correct parameters of temperature and humidity, chances are very good that your eggs will hatch. I regularly have 100% of the eggs I put in my incubator hatch. You just need to make sure you have a decent incubator, that your temperature is correct, and that your humidity is correct for your area, and you are turning the eggs appropriately. As long as those things are good, your eggs will hatch, barring any eggs that are damaged such as shipped eggs.

If you put eggs from your own birds in your incubator that are fresh and have been stored correctly, chances are very high that they will hatch if you do things right. If you're having bad hatch rates, chances are something is going wrong with the incubator or the temperature or humidity are not correct and need to be adjusted. Once you get those things right, you will have good hatch rates in an incubator.

Last edited:

While it is true that we will never be as good as a hen is at incubating, it's actually not true that eggs in an incubator have a very low chance of hatching. If you have a good incubator that maintains temperature well, have a calibrated, accurate thermometer, and a calibrated, accurate hygrometer, and are incubating within the correct parameters of temperature and humidity, chances are very good that your eggs will hatch. I regularly have 100% of the eggs I put in my incubator hatch. You just need to make sure you have a decent incubator, that your temperature is correct, and that your humidity is correct for your area, and you are turning the eggs appropriately. As long as those things are good, your eggs will hatch, barring any eggs that are damaged such as shipped eggs.

If you put eggs from your own birds in your incubator that are fresh and have been stored correctly, chances are very high that they will hatch if you do things right. If you're having bad hatch rates, chances are something is going wrong with the incubator or the temperature or humidity are not correct and need to be adjusted. Once you get those things right, you will have good hatch rates in an incubator.

Totally agree. :goodpost:

Hey I currently hear peeping from the incubator as I type. It's day 20 2:15am Do you think they might hatch soon. Im so excited I can't sleep.

Back
Top Bottom