Incubating peafowl eggs thread

Quote: I have mine at 40-45%, but I am a novice incubator, so you better ask someone with more experience.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Thank you, I have tried last year to hatch eggs and had a lot of quiters out of 4 , three got to the vein stage and the 4th got to just about formed stage. I did have the humidity up there too :/Thank god they were from my own peafowl. They are such a frail bird from conception to adult.

Thank you, I have tried last year to hatch eggs and had a lot of quiters out of 4 , three got to the vein stage and the 4th got to just about formed stage. I did have the humidity up there too :/Thank god they were from my own peafowl. They are such a frail bird from conception to adult.

Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

question....the first 7 days in the incubator should you turn them
I realize with chicken eggs you don't because of the embryo could break away from the veins
is that also true for peafowl eggs.?
Thank you for your time

I realize with chicken eggs you don't because of the embryo could break away from the veins
Thank you for your time

I turn mine.

-Kathy

Thank you for your time

I've never heard that before. My two incubators told me to rotate 1 or 2 times a day at least from day 1 to 3 days before hatch date. Also the hatchery I bought my incubators from the lady told me don't forget to rotate the eggs daily. Though I bought my first incubator when I was 7 which it was a very small one. Could only hold 3 chickens most likely one peafowl egg. The second incubator I bought which is the one I use now I bought when I was 12. I've had each incubator so far for 5 years each. I guess things could've changed but I've been successful so far with turning them for the first week.

I only rotate by hand. Never automatic rotators. I don't trust them, mainly because my teacher uses one and her hatch rate isn't the best. Though of course it's in a classroom and students could screw with the incubator but still. Also when rotating the eggs by hand you can feel what side is warmest and which side is colder, then you can tell which side needs to be up. I like having the eggs on their side too, not set up right. The peahen doesn't set her eggs on end in her nest they're on their sides. Another thing is you can tell when you're getting close to hatching since you can feel the egg getting lighter yet more dense. I know it doesn't make sense but it's hard explaining. When you take a newly layed chicken egg it feels well balanced as if the weight is evenly distributed. When you get close to hatch date you can feel it's lighter but one side feels weighted down then the rest. In my opinion that's what it feels like. When I start rotating the first couple days it just becomes part of you're instinct I guess to rotate then. Just during the day I walk into my room and rotate the eggs without paying attention to the time it's just a routine. It just feels like something in your head says time to rotate the eggs. So far I've gotten 100% hatch rate with my eggs. If it continues and my peahen gets 100% hatch rate I'll have 13 peachicks.

Back
Top Bottom