INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are afraid of what? that the Comanches will steal your hair ?

Trust me when I say I'm not afraid of anything. Been prepared to die more than once in my life, came close once and I refuse to die by someone else's hand. Not to mention it is a right, one that I put my life on the line to protect, more than once and pay dearly on a daily basis in pain day in and day out. So I will continue to do as I believe and run my company with employees having the opportunity to carry.

I've been told that I thoroughly enjoy life and work my balls off. They are absolutely correct. I work 12-15 hrs a day to be successful and when it is time to play, I play hard. I guess if you put yourself in my shoes on July 4th, 2003 in Tikrit, Iraq when I was a thread away from not having this life to live, you would understand.

very excited:

white polish chick:

polish chick:

mutt chick:

spitz #1:

spitz #2 (shes not strangling it she wanted it to look at the camera lol)

5 chicks:

sultan hen #1

sultan hen #2

D'anvers hen:

D'anvers roo:

all of the new kids:

Quote: Runt, it's the same stuff. Many of these drugs are for all livestock being that many mammals and birds contract the same things.

Here's the thing...Since we are not vets but want to keep livestock, we have to take a lot of educated guesses with our chickens. I have bought many drugs for my birds thinking they would work and they didn't. It's trial and error many times. BUT...over time you learn how to diagnose things for yourself and your education gets better AT diagnosis and you can usually cure simple things that are common.

Chicks die for lots of reasons, however the number one causes, other than predators, are Coccidiosis and improper temps in the brooder. Cocci is a protazoa present in the intestinal tract of all birds, rabbits, dogs, cattle, hosts of other creatures. Cocci blows on the wind, it is in all soil, it is everywhere. Chicks have not yet developed their immune systems to internally control these things and because the chicks are all stuffed into a very small space, the cocci is everywhere with the poop. (hence keeping your brooder as clean as possible to help prevent it) But sometimes they still do turn up with it. Older birds and sick birds are also very susceptable to cocci if their immune systems are low. However as chicks age, their bodies learn to develop immunity for the most part and as long as they never again become overwhelmed with it in their environment, healthy birds shouldn't contract it. Cocci symptoms are depression, listlessness, fluffed up feathers, eyes closed and standing up in the corner, not eating or drinking, losing weight fast, diarrhea and many times but not always, blood in the poop. If the poop is black or you see blood at all in it, they have cocci. A bird with cocci withdraws and will not eat or drink.

Another big killer...over heating and chilling. Chicks have not yet developed their internal thermostats..so they can not regulate their temps. If they get too hot, they die. If they get too cold, they die. Chilling and over heating is very common in brooders if you have never raised chicks before and can't read what they are telling you. Until you learn how to read chicks in the brooder, use a GOOD thermometer you KNOW is 100% accurate, keep it directly on the floor beneath the heat source so you know EXACTLY what temp it is in your brooder. And if you need help setting a brooder up, there are countless articles here on BYC and thousands of us that can give you points and tips.

Another biggy is being hatched in a dirty incubator. If you do NOT fumigate these things each time you incubate, you are brooding up all kinds of nasties. The chicks hatch with bacterial infections and boom...a week later they are dropping like flies

So...you need to figure out whether or not they are actually dying from Cocci, are they over heating, chilling or do they have some bacterial infection from hatch. This can be a guessing game sometimes and there is no guarantee the meds you buy will fix the issue IF you guessed wrong. We have all mis diagnosed at some point in our chicken keeping careers. BUT you get better at it as time passes. Oh well if you bought something and it didn't work. The WORST thing you can do is nothing...tiny innocent lives that YOU took on the responsibility to keep are dying. And it IS your responsibility, if you are going to keep a bird or animal, to do the right thing. So you need to do something.

Last edited:
Quote: Dear RUNT,

Don’t waste someone’s time if you’re not going to do anything with their advice.

You have been given great advice for steps you need to take to get from point A to point B, which could be lifesaving for your chicks.

Your problem is you want a quick fix, you want someone else to solve your problem. Don't sit in front of the computer, hoping someone has the answers and do nothing more than that. We are here to assist you as best we can, we enjoy helping others, BUT we can not hold your hand and do this for you.

If you do ask for advice from anyone, the best thing you can do is to take action with all that you have learned, or google cocci yourself, and if you’re not even going to take time to say thanks after you get their advice, don’t even bother writing in the first place, it is basic manners.

I have learned much from this forum, and I also found that there are many types of people! One type is a breed in danger of extinction and are those who examine and analyze the advice given carefully, research for themselves as well, find out that it makes a whole lot of sense, and actually embrace it, act on it and are willing to share what their experiences are with others and AGAIN send thanks, and follow up later telling those people what you did and how it’s helped!

So take what you have learned about cocci, embrace it, research it and TAKE ACTION ON IT !

Last edited:
Not my intention by FAR!

My intention was as it was, s few months ago, To help others incubate, incubate with each other and chat. Not sure why so many people left the thread. Even I somewhat left it. I will not be on BYC anymore. So I pray you all keep helping others and keep things up to date.

@BantyChooks
love.gif
I am adding you back to the notes editor so you and @mlm Mike both can take over from this point despite my choices.

@Sally Sunshine I know how you feel, I was going to leave too but then I thought of how much of me I had invested in my thread and decided to stay. You say very little of what I know is bothering you. Please correct me if I am wrong. You started this thread because of your passion for hatching chicks and wanted to help others. And that was good. Then it got busy, too busy with things that have nothing to do with hatching at all but rather people cutting up so much you get lost in it. Dont get me wrong, I love to cut up too but everything in moderation. Put your foot down sweetheart. PM these thingsthat are bothering you and enjoy your thread. All my love, Pam

Here is a fun photo I got today candling. It's in one of the bigger eggs..a sexlink mix. Pretty brown speckled eggs. I think this baby is ready to get out.

Hey, y'all,
Before we all run off in different directions to celebrate the arrival of New Years with family & friends, I propose we all raise a virtual glass in toasting our hostess & creator of this thread dedicated to incubation & fun. In addition to maintaining a household, raising young children, and taking care of God knows how many chickens, she's somehow found time to research and reprint, for our education, many studies, articles, tips, etc., from others and herself, and given freely of her own experiences.

I wish I knew how to throw a parade, for she certainly is deserving of one. Since I don't, this will have to suffice.

THANK YOU, Sally. You'll probably never fully realize how much you and your efforts to help are truly appreciated. It an honor to call you FRIEND.

bow.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18

Candle day 18 is to determine growth, weigh, pencil mark air cell size and dispose bad eggs. It will look pretty dark and FULL in there! You may or may not see movement on this candle. Its ok if not, don’t panic! The chick may easily be resting! The embryo now occupies most of space within the egg, but NOT the air cell, the beak is against the inner shell membrane and ready to pierce it.

See how that air cell is beginning to dip more to one side and if you lay the egg down it will roll into the hatching position. I set my eggs with lowest dip in the aircell up. This position for hatching is good so the chick is able to turn into position and I can easily see my pips too! Setting eggs horizontal in the hatcher actually can aid a chick to hatch 1-2 hours earlier. (HOWEVER, shipped eggs that have had loose air cells or saddle air cells, should be hatched upright but tilted just enough so that the lowest dip is somewhat upright, so if they have fluid in the air cell it may prevent drowning).

AGAIN, I lay my eggs down LOWEST DIP of the AIR CELL UP! see below images, this is the normal and most likely hatching position and the chick will break through or Internally pip and externally pip in that probable area. See the image below with the x, x being lowest dip in air cell and probably pip area/s.

Chick normal hatching position, Where to place your X, Example of chick position/beak in shell
before internal pip drawing below: image below:
drawing below:
LL

GOOD LOOKING MARKED AIR CELLS and SIZE: images below

LL

LL

WHY LAY HATCHING EGGS HORIZONTAL TOUCHING:
It is now known that the different embryos communicate with each other by a series of clicking sounds, the rate of clicking being the important feature. Ensuring the eggs on the hatching eggs are in contact with each other facilitates the synchronization of hatching where the eggs are incubated in a modern machine. This assists in reducing the time between when the first and last chicks hatch.

DRAW DOWN
BELOW IMAGES & DRAWINGS: Although air cells begin to take this dip/shift appearance slowly throughout the incubation due to weight loss, there is still a big DRAW DOWN just before internal pipping (IP) and you may or may not see this at day 18 candle! DRAW DOWN is when the embryo tucks and pip into the air cell, sometimes during you can see in the high part inside the back they pop up inside as well! good sign!!!
LL
LL

Video of candle below will show DRAW DOWN AND INTERNAL PIP!

0.jpg

0.jpg

THE INTERNAL PIP
Toward the end of standard chicken egg incubation, at approximately day 19, the embryo pierces the air sac membrane with its beak, this is called INTERNAL PIP/PIPPING or (IP) and then has a rest period which could be up to an 24 hour gap before EXTERNAL PIPPING (EP) where the chick pips a crack/rupture in the OUTER SHELL. (Dawes, 1981; Burton and Tullett, 1985),

LL

0.jpg

THE EXTERNAL PIP
The external pip or crack will appear on the 20th Day on the outer shell. AFTER the embryo internally pipped the air sac and became a chick and breathed in air by piercing the air cell, it will rest again which could be up to an 24 hour gap before the final less that hour ZIP/ZIPPING to hatch out of the shell.

EXTERNAL PIP IMAGES will SLOWLY get larger during the rest stage!
LL

I took this piece off and she pushed right out

"THE OTHER ONE too, with the arrow below, if its chirping like mad you may have to check it out. it looks funny for just a pip!"

Its out! the second one without my help thank tha lord!
clap.gif

Last edited:
I did some culling of some recent posts. Please, lets not argue about about things here, stick to topic and discuss things in a nice manner.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom