Incubator / hatching question

Jvanallen21

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2018
Oneonta, NY
hi all!

I am on day 29 on my assorted duckling eggs. We have 6 out of our 9 that we’re in good shape and have been good and showing growth.

We’ve been in lockdown since day 25.

Two external pips but the other 4 nothing!

I’m wondering if there is something I’m doing wrong.

I have an Janeol automatic Bator, where you can add a stopper of water for humidity into the Bator without opening it.

Wondering if I should keep my humidity at 65% while putting the water through that opening? Or leave the humidity at 59% as what it stands at now?

Idk if I’m just being impatient or am I actually needing to give these babies something!

Also, once they are all hatched I wait until they are standing then I can put them into the broder, correct?

Sorry! First timer here!

Thanks all so much

Do you have independent thermometer and hygrometer, or are you going by the unit? They could be running a bit late if your temps were a little low.

Also are you positive of the day count? It’s a common error to count the day set as day 1, but day 1 doesn’t actually start until 24 hours after set. Not that it matters a ton, just asking.

What did you run temp and humidity for the first 25 days, and did the air cells grow properly? How long have the pipped ones been pipped? Ducks hatch slowwwwww. 24-48 hours after external pip is not uncommon.

I would probably try to keep the humidity up around 65-70% now, if possible.

Good luck and :welcome

I don't know a whole lot about ducks, so what advice I'm giving you is based off of chickens, but hopefully it should be somewhat helpful. I personally have had chickens hatch as early as day 19 (it takes approx. 21 days) and as late as day 24. After the 24 day mark, I usually carefully candle them to see if they've internally pipped or if there's any movement. If the answer is no, it's usually okay to assume they're not gonna make it. I would give it some time before you start to worry too much.

Also, yes, I wait until my chicks are walking around pretty well, albeit a little clumsy, and mostly dry before moving them to the brooder.

Good luck with your hatch! Hope you have 6 healthy ducklings in the near future!

Do you have independent thermometer and hygrometer, or are you going by the unit? They could be running a bit late if your temps were a little low.

Also are you positive of the day count? It’s a common error to count the day set as day 1, but day 1 doesn’t actually start until 24 hours after set. Not that it matters a ton, just asking.

What did you run temp and humidity for the first 25 days, and did the air cells grow properly? How long have the pipped ones been pipped? Ducks hatch slowwwwww. 24-48 hours after external pip is not uncommon.

I would probably try to keep the humidity up around 65-70% now, if possible.

Good luck and :welcome
I don't know a whole lot about ducks, so what advice I'm giving you is based off of chickens, but hopefully it should be somewhat helpful. I personally have had chickens hatch as early as day 19 (it takes approx. 21 days) and as late as day 24. After the 24 day mark, I usually carefully candle them to see if they've internally pipped or if there's any movement. If the answer is no, it's usually okay to assume they're not gonna make it. I would give it some time before you start to worry too much.

Also, yes, I wait until my chicks are walking around pretty well, albeit a little clumsy, and mostly dry before moving them to the brooder.

Good luck with your hatch! Hope you have 6 healthy ducklings in the near future!

Thanks for the reply!

I’m using the Bator and my humidity bulb as temp and humidity reader. Both show 38C and 65% humidity.

I did count day one as the day they touched the Bator. So I am a day off. Meaning I am only on day 29.

I didn’t see any internal pips when I candled them before lockdown because I didn’t know that was a thing until now ( wish I joined sooner!)
Do you think I should candle the ones that haven’t had an external pip to see what’s going on?!

When we canceled them the day of lockdown they were moving about like crazy all 6 of them :( I’m happy with my two, but definitely was hoping for more.

At what point would I help them out of the egg the two that have external pips? I was thinking the weekend, if they haven’t came out yet?

Thank you again so much. I appreciate it!

Two of them have their beaks our. One a bit of the shell off and the other not so much just a medium sized hole I guess you’d say.

They may make a couple more pips before they actually start zipping. Ducks seem to like to knock around a bit before they get down to business. But as long as they can breathe, and they don’t look stuck, they could still take a while.

Back
Top Bottom