India Blue?

Whiskey Bay

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Mississippi Gulf coast
I have a 'neighbor turned adopted' peacock that has adopted our house to chill at.He likes to hang out with the pony,. I was thinking he was an India Blue,but had a "he who knows it all" tell me he is mixed up because he shouldn't have black on him. Here are some pics....Tell me what he is....thanks

58523_dscf0041.jpg

Black shoulder or India blue blackshoulder? Obviously I'm not a peafowler...lol... I'd like to know because I'm thinking of buying a hen and I'd like to find the same as him.

Quote:
Black shoulder is a pattern and India blue is a color patterns and colors exist at the same time on a bird. He is an India blue Black shoulder because his color is india blue and his pattern is black shoulder. Since india blue is a dominant gene all you need is a black shoulder hen of any color to make India blue black shoulder offspring. If the color of the hen is not IB (india blue) but she is still black shoulder the offsrping will be IB black shoulder split to what ever color the Black shoulder hen was because the other colors are recessive. You cannot tell the diff. between birds that are split and those that are not so just get any hen with the black shoulder pattern and you will get black shoulder chicks. Sorry if this is confusing. If you get a hen keep her penned for at least 2 months so she does not run off. All black shoulder hens look like this.
66845_100_0367.jpg

sorry, let me clarify, it is an India Blue Black Shoulder...often just referred to as black shoulder. India Blue is a color, black shoulder is a pattern. so, technically, he's both.
smile.png
welcome to the peafowl world! here's what an India Blue Black Shoulder hen should look like:

31148_dsc_0118.jpg

Back
Top Bottom