Indiana 2010 Chickenstock-2011 NEWS!!

Great to have you both! I will get you on the list for 3.
My dad is from Nashville and still has property along Sugar Creek.

Good morning ...
big_smile.png

Thanks for putting us on the list. We are really looking forward to coming. Could you mean Salt Creek? I'm not sure where Sugar Creek runs through Brown County. We are just off State Road 46 by the winery, about a mile back in the woods. We have 25 acres and the chickens love running around the woods pecking at anything at moves.

I'll let you know what we'll be bringing as soon as my wife can decide on what to cook. If the Chanterelle Mushrooms are still up, we'll bring some of those too.

Take care,

Jeff

Quote:
Howdy Neighbor .. I used to live right off 46 also at the third Old Nashville Rd on the Left (LOL.. i know you can appreciatte the humor in that, especailly with the 27 Old Nashville Roads from Columbus to Bloomington) I actually just work at exit 68... Glad to hear you folks are coming ... Hey you dont need a roo do you/???? I have four that need new homes, 2 Red Buff Cochins, I red Cochin Frizzle ( Too cute
love.gif
) and 1 blue black orpington (i think)

Yes, I can appreciate the multiple Nashville Roads:) They cross this way and that. I would have thought they would give some of these roads their own names that Brown County is so famous for like Sick Milk Bottoms Road and Less Traveled Road. We are at the dead end of Deer Trails across from the feed store in Gnawbone. We've been out here 4 years and loving it. No real neighbors for almost a mile. We do have a reclusive writer who lives about 1/2 mile up the drive, but she's either in her house or in Florida most of the time. She's a wonderful lady but prefers seclusion

I might be interested in some of the roos. Do you have any hens for the Frizzle or Red Cohins? I'll buy a couple if you do. My wife has a white Frizzle that is her favorite chicken. She is pure white and stays in with the Peacocks. She is scared a hawk might get here if we put her with the 60 free range chickens so she stays in with the Peas. I do have some Black Austrolops hens I'd like to part with free or cheap. Our RIR Roo loves those girls and their backs are raw. Nothing wrong with them, they just need a break. I've never used a chicken saddle but that might be the answer. We have way more than we need anyway, so a good home somewhere else might be a good idea.

Take Care,

Jeff

We have Austalorp/Jersey Giant mix, their feathers seem rather fragile when it comes to mating. We will have saddles available at the chickestock if you are in need
wink.png
I am sure if you wanted to bring them along, they would go quick, they are a beautiful breed and nice layers.

I would def recommend chicken saddles. I've used them many times for a few poor bare-backed hens. My orp roo is a rough one. And after a couple months with a saddle they are beautifully feathered again. They come in handy too if you have one bird the others like to pick on. Our friend had a guinea with a nasty raw spot from the other guineas pecking at her. We slapped some blu-kote and a saddle on her in a few weeks. Voila! Good as new!

Also, side note. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some more gooseberries this year to make a couple pies. Will still be bringing the bread and paper goods, too!

Last edited:
Quote:
Free

But if you feel obligated to pay somebody something, I'd be more than willing to take whatever you want to give so you can ease your conscience.

lol.png

wink.png

Too funny! LOL! Actually I was just wondering as we are on a limited budget and just the gas to get there is going to be a bit costly as we are two hours way. Really looking forward to this.

MY chicks are 12 weeks old as of Sunday. I would love to have a silkie hen and a frizzled hen around that age if anyone has any available. If so, how much would you be asking for them?

Back
Top Bottom