indictments for tainted feed

digitS'

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 12, 2007
ID/WA border
U.S. and Chinese businesses were indicted Wednesday in the tainted pet food incidents that killed animals in 2007.

Here's the AP story.

If you are wondering what this might have to do with chickens - recall that melanine also contaminated US poultry and hog feed. Obviously, the US Department of Justice is claiming that this contamination was deliberate :eek:.

I find it a little remarkable that the Americans running the US company were only charged with misdemeanors. They could, however, get a few years in federal prison
big_smile.png

Steve

If I remember correctly, didn't China execute the executive to one of the companies which sold the tainted products? To show that they meannt business and it would not be tolerated? Or was that some other scandal in business they cut the exec out of, literally?

Shoot, compared to here, people get more than a slap on the wrist for doing damage to people.

Apparently, interfering with international trade in China carries some serious consequences!!!

And, I was pleased to learn that I'm incorrect on the "only misdemeanors" notion. Upon more careful reading, the story says, "and one felony count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud."

Steve

I think one thing we can see from these indictments and, really from the lead paint scandal as well, is that there are US companies willing to bring unsafe products into the US and make a buck on them.

And, we aren't going to get these Chinese nationals into a federal courtroom, let alone into jail.

However, the US attorneys are alleging that the American executives knew full-well that their product was contaminated with melanine.

Steve

As a professonial painter for over 40 years, I have witnessed the removal of lead from paint. Here I would like to defend lead in a way. Yes, it is dangerous over a long period of time.
Since the removal of lead we have seen mold become a much more serious killer. It takes lead years to kill you, it takes mold days to kill you. I had one customer that had a bad mold problem and because of his
financial problems, he couldn't tear down his house and start over. We removed all the mold we could replaced sheet rock where needed and painted the house. To this day he dosen't have any mold. What I left out was that we added lead to the paint, which we got at an auto motor store. At that time you could buy a lead additive for your cars gasoline. Mold can't live in the lead based paint.

And another plus for lead... electronics now have to be RHOS compliant... that means no lead... this lack of lead allows small "hairs" to grow on the boards and thus short circuit the minature components in many devices. This leads to more junk to the land fills. A VERY tiny percent of led in ONLY the solder prevents this from happening, yet lead is aparently so dangerous it is not allowed and electronics fail under 5 years because of it. Luckily devices made for medical care are allowed to have lead components and use lead solder. This is so that when human lives are at stake, the machines dont die. For the genreal consumer though, we just have to go buy a new electronic device, and throw out our old one. Take out the small quanities of lead, introduce a whole new even worse waste problem as things need to be replaced 3-4 x more often due to failure of chips.

I think alot of policy making is going overboard...

There should be consequences for this. Both in china and for those that decided all that food was safe to go to the fish farming industry rather than destroying it.

They still let you use lead in plumbing? It has been banned here for over a decade. Can't even use it on waste water systems

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom