indoor house chickens

95063_002.jpg

I do not know what the cage cup hanger is supposed to be. I found it at a yard sale. We sometimes use things for other than what they were originally invented for or manufactured to be. The cage cups are one cup measure capacity. One for water, one for gamebird & poultry crumble mix, and one for oyster shell & grit mix.

Last edited:
95063_005.jpg

Alternate cage cup hanger. If I made it with the holes horizontal instead of vertical, then the height adjustment increments would be smaller and probably better. It was an after thought that I will implemant with the next one I make.

Last edited:
If I go back and delete the photos in the uploads, does it delete the photos in the posts?

To answer my own question: yes. That is why the photo is missing from a previous post.

Last edited:
I purchased a digital scale and weighed the Serama.
2010 cock: 491 grams or 17.3 ounces. class C.
2010 hen: 322 grams or 11.4 ounces. class A.
According to Jerry Schexnayder's website only 15% of class A hens are viable. Somewhat disappointing. I might sell her.

I also weighed my lavender bantam Ameraucana.
2010 hen: 483 grams or 17.0 ounces.

Too cute. I'm not sure if anyone else saw this, but the latest edition of the Mary Jane's Farm magazine had an article about house chickens and even a how-to on how to make diapers for them. I have to admit I was intrigued but there's no way the fiance would ever let me do that :)

That is an interesting pet cage. Would the chicken be on a wire floor or bedding?

With my current set-up, even with the 12" sides of the tote and the 1/2" wire mesh top, there are wood chips on the floor that are from when the Serama scratch around. Oh well.

The chicken would be in the bottom, on bedding. I think there's a removable grill. The pan is 6 inches deep.

I can see this as a luxury condo for bantams. It's a closet for a Jersey giant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom