Indoor or outdoor feeders and waterers?

Egg Drop Inn

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Uvalde, Texas
I'm brand new to raising chickens. Mine are 2 1/2 weeks old and still in the brooder. My question is...Do I need to put feeders and waterers inside the coop as well as in the attached outdoor run, or is just in the outdoor run enough?

I have 29 chicks of assorted light and heavy breeds. My coop is a converted storage shed 8'W x 16'L x 6'H and I would like to ensure I have enough space inside for nesting boxes and roosts to accommodate my hens. I am planning on 8 nesting boxes and 4 - 8' perches. It just seems like feeders and waterers would take up alot of space inside. Any suggestions?

Attached is a picture of the inside of the shed before we started the conversion.

My plan is place the roosts across the back wall, the nesting boxes on the left wall and the chicken door on the right wall.

welcome-byc.gif
If you intend to leave feeders/waterers outdoors you may end up with a cafeteria line of squirrels, mice, wild birds etc. feasting at your expense. If you do, it's wise to bring feeders in at dusk. Some people like to have them inside and out. With your limited space, maybe hanging feeders, etc. would work better for you. This can hang from the ceiling just low enough for the chickens to reach it.

i am 5 months new to having chickens, i switched to hanging feeders, this is definetely more effective. the chickens like the feeder up to their necks as they grow so they don't have to reach down to eat their feed and water. plus they don't kick bedding and chicken poop in their feed and water. IMPORTANT RECOMENDATION------DOn't put a roost above where the waterer and feeder hang.(i did this and they pooin their food every morning. i have to clean it out.
sickbyc.gif
)

indoors is better for winter. for summer it is all up to what works better for you. make sure to protect food from pests and rain though. with some type of cover over the food.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I don't have space for feeders or waterers inside the coop, so I put the feeder out in the mornings when I let the chickens out. I open them first thing and they only go in when it's nearly dark, so they don't need the food and water inside.

Greetings from Kansas, Egg Drop, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Great looking coop - nice and big! In reference to your question, I only feed outside in the run and not in the coop. Exceptions: deep snow or bitter cold, then I move it inside for a day or so until the weather moderates. Good luck to you and your poultry!

Thanks everyone for all the great advise. I think I have decided on feeding and watering outside with a trough feeder and a gravity fed nipple waterer.

Redsoxs, I'm a sucker for big brown dogs. Your's is adorable. I have a Boykin Spaniel with a chocolate smile.

welcome-byc.gif
If you intend to leave feeders/waterers outdoors you may end up with a cafeteria line of squirrels, mice, wild birds etc. feasting at your expense. If you do, it's wise to bring feeders in at dusk. Some people like to have them inside and out. With your limited space, maybe hanging feeders, etc. would work better for you. This can hang from the ceiling just low enough for the chickens to reach it.
Great advice! Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom