Need 19g 1/2 inch hardware cloth for screening to predator proof and 2 ft apron below coop and run to prevent digging predators. I also put predator lights like nightguard on my coop facing the woods. They are solar and chase off predators. I also have a papitese dog that chases off wild things that comes into the yard. She has chased off 1 raccoon so far that was brave to come on my deck away from the predator lights! :caf:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy What breed of chicks will you get?
Do you find that the nightguard lights also keep deer away? Wanting them to stay out of the garden.

Do you find that the nightguard lights also keep deer away? Wanting them to stay out of the garden.

Yes, I do. I don’t see them bothering the coop area if come in during day. My dog scares them off if in during the day. They just like fruit trees and bamboo of my husbands. Solar predator help at night while you can’t be vigilant.

Welcome to BYC!

Not advice, just my personal and very limited experience:

I used western red cedar siding on the night time roosting boxes of my tractors, and I haven’t had any issues with it (chickens have been in it since December). It was kind of “seasoned” a bit first though, as it was supposed to have been siding for my house but my Father-in-Law only milled enough for a small shed. It sat in a pile outside, uncovered, for about a year and a half getting rained and snowed on. It doesn’t hardly even smell like cedar anymore except when you cut it. I had to dry it out in our workshop for a few days first and scrape all the saw dust off from the milling. I also installed the most aged sides inward.

Personal experience only, not an endorsement or recommendation. I used what I had access to.

Not unless you have on in your yard to chop down. Cedar is not recommended also for chickens. Just pine or other wood. Never use cedar chips in run either. Just FYI! I love it, I’m in Edgewood Ky. Hello Neighbor! Welcome to BYC! :) I use grow cloth over my gardens white from gardeners supply under hoops and cheaper. It allows sun and rain through. Just another thought. Love that your so close. :thumbsup:welcome
Woo hoo! Glad to hear of someone else close by :)

I wasn't planning to use cedar mulch, just as the material to construct a night time coop (plan to keep them on grass the rest of the time). Do you think that would still be a problem?
It largely depends on the type and age of the cedar. I would avoid aromatic cedar. As Kris said, aged is better. I've known a number of folks who have used cedar for main support structure and ground contact and other materials elsewhere. Also if you can find it, black locust and osage orange have a longer lifespan than cedar out in the elements and no risk to the birds respiratory system.

Back
Top Bottom