GreenBean13

Chirping
6 Years
May 12, 2016
Hi yall! In Independence, KY & planning for a flock sometime later this year or next. Trying to get infrastructure in place first -- greenhouse, garden with raised beds, temporary or permanent netting to protect garden (probably poultry netting so it can be dual purpose later on when we do have chickens), compost system, and then a mobile coop. On about 1/4 acre, with half of that backyard (in a suburb though we back up to deep woods). I already have a three-bin compost system built but need to line it with hardware cloth to keep out the raccoons! Got a nice drop of woodchips two weeks back & moving that to the backyard at this point. Next step -- raised bed construction, filling with local compost (I don't have any of my own yet)/coconut coir or peat, & then determining how to protect the garden area from wildlife. Plan to have a mobile chicken coop that I can move around the rest of the backyard & into the garden space once winter comes back around. As for raised bed & coop construction, really wanna use cedar. Having a difficult time finding cedar locally milled (figured that would be more cost effective option for cedar?). Anyone in the NKY/Cincinnati area have tips on where to look for cedar? Also, would having chickens get the moles out of my yard? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. From what I have read on BYC cedar (shavings for litter, at least) can affect chicken health. Read through the threads on a search that I just did for clarification - https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...coop+construction&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

More generally, here are some links to key resources:
Best wishes

Pork Pie

byc-sm-greeting.jpg

hello-smiley.gif
Best wishes in your homesteading ventures!

:welcome

Your state thread members might be able to point you in the direction for some of the things you're interested in...Pork Pie has given you the link.

Best of luck with all your plans. Since you're interested in gardening, you may enjoy chatting with other gardeners:
Gardening

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom