injured chicken. Need medicine advice now

Miss chickabee

Hatching
Mar 18, 2015
Predator bit young chicken's upper leg last night. We are doctoring it. Not broke. Worried about infection . Kids are on liquid amoxcillian right now. How much could I give the chicken for a few days? Ml please. Not grams. How do I get it down chicken without causing it to choke. Any advice. "Teenage" chicken. About 2 lbs.

HI! Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry that your first post has to be about an injured chicken. When one of my chickens were sick I spoon fed her. If you tilt her head up and gently pour the water down her throat she should be able to swallow it without choking.
hugs.gif

What is the strength of the amoxicillin liquid you have? If you can tell me (or post a photo of the label) I will help you work out the dosage.

Getting it into her is easy enough - a syringe without a needle, or an eye dropper, putting a drop at a time on the side of her beak. She will automatically swallow it. It takes time, but it works. If she is eating, then you can just put the medicine on whatever she will eat (bread, egg, boiled rice etc.)

Predator bit young chicken's upper leg last night. We are doctoring it. Not broke. Worried about infection . Kids are on liquid amoxcillian right now. How much could I give the chicken for a few days? Ml please. Not grams. How do I get it down chicken without causing it to choke. Any advice. "Teenage" chicken. About 2 lbs.
On the bottle it should say the number of mg per ml (mg/ml). The dose for a chicken is 57mg per pound twice a day.

Dosing pictures:

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom