Injured pullet not laying

cats and chicks

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
north ga
So I have a 6 month old bantam chick who was injured right when I started getting eggs from the coop it was in with 3 other chicks.
It was partially paralyzed for a couple of weeks, but now is back to about 90% and doing very well considering it had a pretty severe head injury.
The question is this - I have no way of telling if this is a hen or a roo because the comb it had was completely destroyed in the attack. It's not crowing, but it's not laying eggs, either.
Is it possible that if this chick is a hen, she will never lay eggs due to her head injury?
Or maybe I have a roo who will never crow???

Sometimes they dont begin to lay eggs until the next spring if its already getting cold. She could never lay but its hard for anyone to tell. Id give it time, especially until spring. If its a roost he might not crow but most of mine always crowed.

At 6 months old if you post a picture we can tell you if its a male or female without a comb.

Sometimes they dont begin to lay eggs until the next spring if its already getting cold. She could never lay but its hard for anyone to tell. Id give it time, especially until spring. If its a roost he might not crow but most of mine always crowed.

At 6 months old if you post a picture we can tell you if its a male or female without a comb.

Attachments

• 15407409432867421075931601155789.jpg
    15407409432867421075931601155789.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 9
She's begun cackling like she's laying an egg, so maybe she'll start soon.
Thanks! I was thinking maybe she wasn't laying because of healing.
I guess only time will tell!

She's inside the house because she couldn't stand and even when she started walking again, she wasn't scratching and the other 2 hens were picking on her. I may wait until the weather warms in the spring before putting her back outside.....

Great! Oh yeah thats a she 100% she looks like shes doing well, hope she stays in good spirits! She have nice lacing!

If you have a light on a timer that comes on about 4:30 in the morning you'll be more likely to get eggs throughout the winter.

So I have a 6 month old bantam chick who was injured right when I started getting eggs from the coop it was in with 3 other chicks.
It was partially paralyzed for a couple of weeks, but now is back to about 90% and doing very well considering it had a pretty severe head injury.
The question is this - I have no way of telling if this is a hen or a roo because the comb it had was completely destroyed in the attack. It's not crowing, but it's not laying eggs, either.
Is it possible that if this chick is a hen, she will never lay eggs due to her head injury?
Or maybe I have a roo who will never crow???

Looks like a pullet.
Since she is cackling she may be getting to lay soon.
Since she was injured, that would likely have delayed her.
Hope she recovers completely, she a cute little thing.

Back
Top Bottom