Injured? Sick? I’m so afraid of losing her :(

I'm sorry about your hen it doesn't sound too good.
She's not pooped for two days so may have a blockage somewhere, has her crop been emptying?
No one can really tell you if it's time to put a bird out of their misery, but it's been a week and she's in a state of decline.
If you do lose her, then sending the body to your state lab may give you more information.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I just found this, sorry about your hen. While you had her isolated, were you giving her grit along with her feed? I did not see you answer the question about her crop, whether it is emptying overnight. Check it in the morning before she has access to food or water and report what you feel. Also smell her mouth to see if she has a sour odor. Moisten her food so she gets some hydration that way if she will eat at all. @Eggcessive, any advice here? Has @Wyorp Rock checked in?

I'm so sorry to hear that she has continued to delcine in her health. Putting any of our pets to sleep is never an easy decision, only you can decide when it is the right time, if and when it comes to that. No one here will judge you for your decision whatever it may be. I can relate to your feelings so much right now, as last week we had to put down THE baby chick I had hoped and waited for, for so long. His health had declined despite our valiant efforts for 72 hours, and when he went limp, lost way too much weight, refused to eat or drink, we knew it was time. It's not easy, but it's the one last act of love and kindness we can offer our pets. Give it your one last desperate all out attempt, and know when enough is enough. *very big hugs* If you need a chicken mama friend to talk to, I am here.

Have you tried to give her any Drench? You can put 3 drops, one at a time, directly on the tip of her tongue, let her swallow each drop first, before giving the next. It goes directly into their bloodstream. If she doesn't improve from it, within a few hours, then if you are up to it and feel confident in tubing her, you could try that. I myself, prefer an eye dropper, with liquids applied to the tongue, one drop at a time.

Pics of the Nutri-Drench, I bought mine at Tractor Supply last week.

Attachments

• 20200827_230617.jpg
    20200827_230617.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200827_230557.jpg
    20200827_230557.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 2
What kind of drench are you speaking of? How exactly would it go directly into the bloodstream via the mouth?

ETA: Nutri-drench. We posted at the same time.

It can help a lot faster.

The bird also needs hydration and nutrition to live. I worry about this bird not eating or drinking. I also worry about the no pooping.

We’ve tried syringe feeding and squirting tiny drops of water I. Her mouth. She doesn’t really respond and it just drips out. Her crop feels empty, and yes while she’s been inside she’s gotten grit as well as had access to oyster if she wanted it. I tried drench yesterday because I was worried but absolutely nothing. I personally can’t see myself culling her. I’ve never done it. If my grandmother was here she’d be able to show me. But honestly I can be told how to do it, watch videos on different ways and everything but I still don’t think I’d be able to do it. I’d make a lousy farmer. I’m just too attached to her. The only vet around that sees livestock is out until Monday. I have plans to take her in then if she’s still with us.

Back
Top Bottom