Injured? Sick? I’m so afraid of losing her :(

Guys.... I drenched her again yesterday and then propped her next to her water and she started drinking on her own. Just a little bit. But it’s better than nothing. I tried to get her to eat but she‘d only eat a bite or two. Same thing all day today. Shed drink off and on but not eat. So I wanted to try making a “mash” of her feed and water. Enough water to be soupy but enough food to be chunky. If that makes any sense. And she’s been eating it for the past 5 minutes. Not tons. But I mean it’s not like her crop can hold a ton..... of say she’s eaten about a tablespoon worth. I’m going to give her about 10 more minutes then swap it out with fresh water in front of her for the night. Tomorrow I’ll give her mash again as well and see how she does. We may even go sit on the grass outside tomorrow morning.

Guys.... I drenched her again yesterday and then propped her next to her water and she started drinking on her own. Just a little bit. But it’s better than nothing. I tried to get her to eat but she‘d only eat a bite or two. Same thing all day today. Shed drink off and on but not eat. So I wanted to try making a “mash” of her feed and water. Enough water to be soupy but enough food to be chunky. If that makes any sense. And she’s been eating it for the past 5 minutes. Not tons. But I mean it’s not like her crop can hold a ton..... of say she’s eaten about a tablespoon worth. I’m going to give her about 10 more minutes then swap it out with fresh water in front of her for the night. Tomorrow I’ll give her mash again as well and see how she does. We may even go sit on the grass outside tomorrow morning.
That is very encouraging news! I will keep sending positive vibes your way, just know I am rooting for you two! Try adding some protein to the mash - like tuna or creamy peanut butter, and a sugar syrup of some kind, like honey, molasses or even pancake syrup. They will both give her an extra boost. I used this on a baby chick that was refusing everything else, and he gobbled it right up. :)

I will find some baby aspirin and get some On some meal worms for her. Should I leave her messy bum be for now? Or should I try to clean her up? I don’t want to stress her out and the only way I can think of to clean her up would be like I would on chicks with pasty butt. Soak her bum in some warm water and then try to massage the feathers to get the poo off....but I don’t know if that would stress her out more. It’s not blocking her vent or anything. Just messy and I don’t know if she’s not liking it.... or if it will cause problems.
That would be the best thing to do at least once a day maybe in the evenings before bedtime so she goes to bed clean overnight. You can use a little dawn dishwashing detergent. The plain Dawn for dishes only not the kind with any extras added. It is used all the time to remove tar and oil from animals exposed to oil spills like in the Gulf. As far as going to all the trouble and headache of putting her in a sling you might have better luck using some Vetwrap found for cheap at Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) or the local feed store. If nothing else her resting it in the kennel for a sprain which I agree with Avery that it is also will probably be fine enough for a week or so with good rest. She just needs to stay warm quiet and still in sight of her flock enough not to get depressed or forgotten.

That would be the best thing to do at least once a day maybe in the evenings before bedtime so she goes to bed clean overnight. You can use a little dawn dishwashing detergent. The plain Dawn for dishes only not the kind with any extras added. It is used all the time to remove tar and oil from animals exposed to oil spills like in the Gulf. As far as going to all the trouble and headache of putting her in a sling you might have better luck using some Vetwrap found for cheap at Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) or the local feed store. If nothing else her resting it in the kennel for a sprain which I agree with Avery that it is also will probably be fine enough for a week or so with good rest. She just needs to stay warm quiet and still in sight of her flock enough not to get depressed or forgotten.
I’m still concerned about her leg. I don’t think it’s a sprain at this point. She doesn’t really move either leg right now or stand at all still, but her right leg if I move it gives some resistance and she puts it back where it was but her left leg is completely limp. So honestly at this point I’m still worried but I want to give her the best chance so I’m crossing my fingers it isn’t mericks and that a vet may be able to do something. She’s not showing any other signs of that but I have no idea if the limp leg means it’s paralyzed or not and if it is paralyzed, if mericks is the only thing that can cause that. Or if she will ever be able to regain use no matter the case. Honestly if the vet says it is or that she will never regain use of her legs then I will probably have the vet put her to sleep. I’d rather her be at rest than have a low quality of life.

ok so we went to the vet today, they wouldnt let anyone in, they were retrieving the animals from the cars. I told the nurse everything from her limping a week ago all the way to her not eating or drinking then starting to eat and drink a little here and there but still not really enough. anyways so they came back out a little later with her and the vet talked to me a little and told me she was dehydrated ( i knew this) so they gave her subq fluid, and that she had a fever ( i didnt know this) so he said they were sending her home with some meds for pain/fever and antibiotics. I asked him about her leg and the nurse never freaking told him about it....:mad: I told him about it but by that time the nurse had brought her out and the doctor told me to give her the meds for the week (the pain/ fever meds are 4 days) and see how shes doing. I stewed a bit on the way home because her leg is what started all this. Or whatever started all this has SOMETHING to do with her leg. At least I feel like it. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt because maybe they are not really connected. Maybe she hurt her leg and then somehow got sick after I brought her in. I mean her routine did change then. And she went from limping to not moving her leg at all, then started to get better and it was at this point that I started taking her outside in the front for a bit each day. and after a few days of that is when she started going downhill. So I gave her the fever meds and she just had her second dose of antibiotics. Shes still not moving her legs but when i move them i feel like she does have a little resistance in both now (before her left leg was just floppy, now she seems to keep it in different positions depending on how Im holding her. and when I move it she does move it back, at least part way.) shes also eating some more and drinking. Not as much as needed, but still more. So im going to wait a week and see how it goes and then address it again if she doesnt seem to be getting well enough.

ok so we went to the vet today, they wouldnt let anyone in, they were retrieving the animals from the cars. I told the nurse everything from her limping a week ago all the way to her not eating or drinking then starting to eat and drink a little here and there but still not really enough. anyways so they came back out a little later with her and the vet talked to me a little and told me she was dehydrated ( i knew this) so they gave her subq fluid, and that she had a fever ( i didnt know this) so he said they were sending her home with some meds for pain/fever and antibiotics. I asked him about her leg and the nurse never freaking told him about it....:mad: I told him about it but by that time the nurse had brought her out and the doctor told me to give her the meds for the week (the pain/ fever meds are 4 days) and see how shes doing. I stewed a bit on the way home because her leg is what started all this. Or whatever started all this has SOMETHING to do with her leg. At least I feel like it. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt because maybe they are not really connected. Maybe she hurt her leg and then somehow got sick after I brought her in. I mean her routine did change then. And she went from limping to not moving her leg at all, then started to get better and it was at this point that I started taking her outside in the front for a bit each day. and after a few days of that is when she started going downhill. So I gave her the fever meds and she just had her second dose of antibiotics. Shes still not moving her legs but when i move them i feel like she does have a little resistance in both now (before her left leg was just floppy, now she seems to keep it in different positions depending on how Im holding her. and when I move it she does move it back, at least part way.) shes also eating some more and drinking. Not as much as needed, but still more. So im going to wait a week and see how it goes and then address it again if she doesnt seem to be getting well enough.
Oh my gosh, oh no! Good grief, that is crazy. I would seriously call them tomorrow, and have them read her chart notes to you. Make sure that everything is noted, and if it's not make them add it, so its documented for when you go back in. I don't think meds alone are going to fix her leg issues. Is this an avian or general vet? I am so sorry you are going through this. *hugs*

Oh my gosh, oh no! Good grief, that is crazy. I would seriously call them tomorrow, and have them read her chart notes to you. Make sure that everything is noted, and if it's not make them add it, so its documented for when you go back in. I don't think meds alone are going to fix her leg issues. Is this an avian or general vet? I am so sorry you are going through this. *hugs*
It’s a livestock vet. We don’t really have any avian/exotic vets here. We have normal vets, emergency vets if you go into town about 45 minutes away and livestock vets. Lol. She’s eaten and drank about 3 times on her own today ( that I witnessed. Could be more ) without getting drenched. I know it’s not a lot but it’s way better than before. I keep her propped up where she has constant access to both her food and water. And I make sure there’s good cushion under her because I don’t want her breastbone to get bruised since she’s pretty much laying on that it seems. :(. I also keep her legs tucked under her when I position her. Like they would be when roosting.

Back
Top Bottom