Injured? Sick? I’m so afraid of losing her :(

Pics

Ashrhod710

Chirping
Aug 19, 2020
East Texas
My favorite hen came out of the coop limping yesterday and by the time I got back with a dog crate to bring her inside for a rest period she was laying in the corner of the coop and not really wanting to move much. Anyways I brought her inside and she ate tons of food and water and has been eating and drinking regularly. However she won’t stand much and unless I stand her up she stands with the limping leg behind her kind of. ( picture one and two I’ve checked her foot and don’t really see any signs of Bumblefoot (picture three) she seems to try to move it when standing up but if she does move the leg goes behind her and she just stops and lays down. Since this started her feathers around her vent have gotten dirty because she doesn’t get up to potty, although her droppings seem normal. She’s not egg bound. She laid yesterday and today. I can post a picture of her vent if requested because it is kind of eww and I don’t want to upset anyone. I’m changing her bedding every couple of hours, and standing her up so she uses her leg a little so the muscle won’t atrophy. I’m just worried sick and can’t think of what it could be and how to handle it. Our vet doesn’t have any spots open for couple weeks because he’s out of state and The others Ive called don’t see livestock.

Attachments

• 7B528A40-3C3A-4A01-A0C5-EF293FB5BA72.jpeg
    7B528A40-3C3A-4A01-A0C5-EF293FB5BA72.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 5F2AD083-9A55-4E6D-A69A-B6492E052392.jpeg
    5F2AD083-9A55-4E6D-A69A-B6492E052392.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 27
  • 9BF9DA9F-C99E-4559-969D-CFF46DAA841C.jpeg
    9BF9DA9F-C99E-4559-969D-CFF46DAA841C.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 27
I'm sorry about your hen it doesn't sound too good.
She's not pooped for two days so may have a blockage somewhere, has her crop been emptying?
No one can really tell you if it's time to put a bird out of their misery, but it's been a week and she's in a state of decline.
If you do lose her, then sending the body to your state lab may give you more information.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I'm so sorry to hear that she has continued to delcine in her health. Putting any of our pets to sleep is never an easy decision, only you can decide when it is the right time, if and when it comes to that. No one here will judge you for your decision whatever it may be. I can relate to your feelings so much right now, as last week we had to put down THE baby chick I had hoped and waited for, for so long. His health had declined despite our valiant efforts for 72 hours, and when he went limp, lost way too much weight, refused to eat or drink, we knew it was time. It's not easy, but it's the one last act of love and kindness we can offer our pets. Give it your one last desperate all out attempt, and know when enough is enough. *very big hugs* If you need a chicken mama friend to talk to, I am here.

You need to tube feed her, otherwise she will pass. if you are not comfortable with tube feeding you need to find someone who is okay with culling her for you. You can start a conversation with @casportpony or @Isaac 0 about the supplies and ways to tube feed since they aren't responding very quickly here. But the advice given by these members is great, I would follow there advice and do your best. I would seriously research tube feeding though, it will be a lot easier to do than culling her, but even that might not revive her if she is too far gone. If you think she has a chance then go to tube feeding, if you believe she is to far gone then talk to your neighbors, we will respect either decision you make, so sorry you are in such a though position. *Big huge hugs* :hugs Avery

I only read some snip-bits of the thread, but if you want to tube feed her you'll need a large syringe (60ml), some Parrot Baby feeding formula, or high protein game starter (won't run through the tube as easily, but will work), a gram scale to weigh her on, and finally some tubing. The tubing will probably be the hardest thing to get, In an ideal world you use a catheter, so you might find that at a medical store. If you're unable to find catheters, you can go to your nearest pet store and get some aquarium tubing, it's more rigid and harder to work with, but it will do the job, however, prior to using it, it's important the tip be melted until smooth using a lighter.

Feeding tubes are available via several sites online including Amazon, but take into consideration shipping, etc. It may be a while until you actually receive it.

There are the case's where you shouldn't tube-feed a sick bird, so you should read the following links,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/22897426/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Here are links to what all you'll need,

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/kaytee-bird-exact-handfeeding
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-60cc-syringe-with-catheter-tip
https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Digital-Kitchen-Precise-Multifunction/dp/B018LXSPEA/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&qid=1598609792&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:5943604011&s=kitchen&sr=1-4
https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/products/feeding-tubes-and-catheters-red-rubber

Just to clarify, you don't immediately tube feed a sick bird, you'll start off by rehydrating them with Gatorade, or Pedialyte, then once hydrated tube-feed.

Guys.... I drenched her again yesterday and then propped her next to her water and she started drinking on her own. Just a little bit. But it’s better than nothing. I tried to get her to eat but she‘d only eat a bite or two. Same thing all day today. Shed drink off and on but not eat. So I wanted to try making a “mash” of her feed and water. Enough water to be soupy but enough food to be chunky. If that makes any sense. And she’s been eating it for the past 5 minutes. Not tons. But I mean it’s not like her crop can hold a ton..... of say she’s eaten about a tablespoon worth. I’m going to give her about 10 more minutes then swap it out with fresh water in front of her for the night. Tomorrow I’ll give her mash again as well and see how she does. We may even go sit on the grass outside tomorrow morning.

Are there any private meat processors in your area, that like do deer, boar, wild turkey, etc.. Maybe one of them could help you out, if you are ready. Sounds like it would be easier on you, if they did it, then you could bury her if that's allowed where you live.
There’s one in town but they may not be able to since it’s where they process food and we don’t know if she’s sick or what’s causing this exactly. The neighbor on the other side of the trees has chickens, (their rooster and my rooster spend about an hour at 7 pm on the dot every night crowing back and forth....) I may go ask them if they can help me. I grew up on a farm but never had to do any of that. My grandmother did it but they were are dinner at that point. And as for burning her..... that’s easy. We already have a spot at the back of our property.... currently there are two guineas, a Cardinal, and a rooster that got taken down by a snake buried back there. We’re on a couple acres outside of the city limits so there’s not a lot we can’t do.

There’s one in town but they may not be able to since it’s where they process food and we don’t know if she’s sick or what’s causing this exactly. The neighbor on the other side of the trees has chickens, (their rooster and my rooster spend about an hour at 7 pm on the dot every night crowing back and forth....) I may go ask them if they can help me. I grew up on a farm but never had to do any of that. My grandmother did it but they were are dinner at that point. And as for burning her..... that’s easy. We already have a spot at the back of our property.... currently there are two guineas, a Cardinal, and a rooster that got taken down by a snake buried back there. We’re on a couple acres outside of the city limits so there’s not a lot we can’t do.
True, you cant take a possibly sick chicken to the meat processor, but they may be willing to come help you out, or have a place nearby to take her to. Hopefully your neighbor can help you figure out what to do, and so forth. I feel so badly for you, if I were there I would help you with whatever you wanted or needed to do. It's so hard when an animal you love and care about, and have put your time and heart into gets this sick or hurts. Stay strong, try to keep your chin up, know that you have our support. Keep us informed, we are here for you.

Back
Top Bottom