Inside or outside coop measurement?

bear0806

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
The coop I'm looking at is 8.5 long x 5.5 wide (with nesting box measurement included-so maybe 3.5/4foot) x 7.5 high to peak with sloped roof. Is this large enough for 10 chickens if I add several roosts to choose from?

8.5 * 3.5 = 29.75ft²
8.5 * 4 = 34ft²
8.5 * 5.5 = 46.75ft²

10 chickens require a recommended minimum of 4ft² each (40ft² total), I believe this is stated not including roost space and nest boxes.

Possibly, if you have a small breed it could be okay? Otherwise I'd recommend 6-8 chickens, especially if you're new to them. Trust me even 2 birds can be a lot of work.

I thought the fact that it is 5-7 feet tall (at different locations since it is sloped roof) would increase the capacity so 10 might be okay.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice.

The Usual Guidelines:

8 hens

• 32 square feet in the coop. 4'x8' is approaching the limits for a non-walk-in coop even with the access door in the middle. 6'x6' should be walk-in because even the tallest chicken-keeper won't be able to reach the far wall.
  • 8 feet of roost
  • 80 square feet in the run. 8'x10' is a nice looking number but, remembering the common dimensions of lumber, a roomier 8'x12' is actually easier to build. 6'x14' looks good on paper but would require a lot of weird cuts.
  • 8 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2-3 nest boxes.
12 hens
  • 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof but risks social problems because subordinate hens need to be able to pass the dominant hens at a respectful distance.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.
And a more nuanced look at chickens' space needs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

I thought the fact that it is 5-7 feet tall (at different locations since it is sloped roof) would increase the capacity so 10 might be okay.

No, I'm afraid not. Chickens don't stack for storage.

Height is, however, your friend, both in terms of not hitting your head when working inside the coop and in terms of supplying good ventilation.

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Back
Top Bottom