Insulation or not?

If it gets cold, I'd say insulate. As to them eating it, just make sure you board it up and seal up all the cracks. If they can't see it, they can't eat it. A friend of mine's dad insulated the ceiling and didn't do anything to keep chickens away, and they ate a hole through it. They would lay up in the ceiling, and some got trapped and died there. Words of warning.

We insulated our plain metal storeroom with styro sheets cut to fit places. We glued them up to the metal with i think liquid nails and it has held well. It really helps in both summer and winter to keep the room easier to live in for the girls. We do have an exhaust fan in the back for summer ventilation. By evening it is at least down to 80 inside and will cool off to 70s or below depending on outside, but quite livable for them to have a comfortable night.
We also use a small ceramic heater in the winter and I can keep it up to 40 degrees even on 9 degree days like this last winter here in Texas.
I vote for insulating away, but do provide some kind of ventilation for summer--even if that's a small window you can open and crack the door open at least 2 inches. If it has a ladder chicken walk door, then you will be fine.

Quote:
Well I have 7 but they are not all in there and they are not even close to full grown. I actually have 2 of these coops( long story) but they free range all day and they only sleep in the coop. Sometimes they are in the run while I go out. But not very long. I have another very large covered run I will be adding to this.

Last edited:
I agree any insulation you install needs to be covered with plywood ¼” or 3/8” plywood will be fine. For insulation I would be more inclined to using dense Styrofoam or Polyisocyanurate panels; the dense foam board insulation will not absorb moisture or provide home for insects. Cut to fit tightly between wall framing then covering with plywood. Don't use Homasote insulation board or as substitute for plywood the birds will peck hole into boards additional it absorbs moisture.

Our coop is relatively large 12’W x 16’L x 8’H we kept about 46+ birds in there last winter only 2 nights did the water freeze. Most chickens can handle temperatures down to freezing, but that also depends on what breeds you keep.

Quote:
Depends on how easy it is to get inside the coop can roof lift off? Then yes I would do floors walls and roof. Small coop like that should be fast and easy to do. Borrow Drywall T-Square to cut foam board with utility knife. When I needed to cut repetitive pieces same size I have cut foam board on table saw, but be forewarned it gets dusty you must wear eye protection and dust masks.

Last edited:
Really easy. In fact I am going to put together another one and I thought I would just do it before I put it together.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom