Integrating chicks? Am I doing this right?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
I am seeking any advice for how best to integrate my five week old chicks with an existing flock of two pallets aged 18 weeks. At this point in Massachusetts it’s getting chilly so I am doing my best to have them in the run with the girls a few hours every day when the temperatures are at least in the 60s and I keep them in their own segregated area in a no touch but can see section. This seems to be going well but at most they have together is about five hours a day. I have them free ranging outside together for about 30 minutes to an hour while I’m supervising them and that is going OK but the two older girls really try to investigate them and often hunt them down and pick them a little bit. Nothing too aggressive just they are persistent and want to get them rather than welcome them. Can I do anything better? We are coming up on six weeks with the chicks and I would like to get them integrated with the flock and out of my house as soon as possible but obviously as safely as possible. Should I do three or four days with the chicks in their segregated section in the run for the entire day and then on the fifth day let them out in the run with the big girls and just see what happens? I’m trying my best to slowly get them together. Some nights are going into 40 degrees here so I’m worried about that too.

With the age of the chicks as long as they're healthy and well feathered and not birds that might struggle to keep warm (like frizzles) your temperatures shouldn't be an issue. Unless it's super windy or unusually cold (and in either case they should be fine as long as you give them a dry, draft free area to huddle in) they should be outside the majority of the day doing see but no touch. The longer you can have them outside for that, the better it should go when you let them mingle in the run.

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. You don't need to worry about those temperatures.

How big are your coop and run, in feet. Some photos to show how they are tied together and set up could help too. My juveniles usually avoid the adults until they mature enough to joint them as adults. There can be exceptions, but that's normal for mine. Don't expect them to be buddy buddy for a while. My goal is to avoid injuries, that one flock stuff can and will come later. There are techniques to improve your chances to avoid injuries, that's why I want to know what you are working with.

People do this kind of integration all the time, sometimes even with limited space so don't get too discouraged, but it might take a bit of work.

With the age of the chicks as long as they're healthy and well feathered and not birds that might struggle to keep warm (like frizzles) your temperatures shouldn't be an issue. Unless it's super windy or unusually cold (and in either case they should be fine as long as you give them a dry, draft free area to huddle in) they should be outside the majority of the day doing see but no touch. The longer you can have them outside for that, the better it should go when you let them mingle in the run.
I have to say you are one of the most helpful people on this site. I’m always happy to read your messages. I think I’m nervous to pull the plug and I feel like I haven’t done full days so I think you are right I need to focus on full days out together but separated and then maybe pull the plug after four or five days and see what happens. I’m a little overprotective and I’m worried about them when they peck them and run after them which they do a lot outside during our feee range time.

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. You don't need to worry about those temperatures.

How big are your coop and run, in feet. Some photos to show how they are tied together and set up could help too. My juveniles usually avoid the adults until they mature enough to joint them as adults. There can be exceptions, but that's normal for mine. Don't expect them to be buddy buddy for a while. My goal is to avoid injuries, that one flock stuff can and will come later. There are techniques to improve your chances to avoid injuries, that's why I want to know what you are working with.

People do this kind of integration all the time, sometimes even with limited space so don't get too discouraged, but it might take a bit of work.
Always sound advice from you. Do you think I should be concerned that the older ladies seem pretty interested in running after them and picking at them during our free range time outside together? And are you worried about five week or six week old chicks being out in 40° or 30° nights?

Pictures of your set up would really help.

Do you have hide outs in the run? So often people have bare runs. An interesting run has hide outs, multiple feed bowls positioned so that while eating at one bowl, they cannot see birds at another bowl. Mini walls, were a bird can step out of sight can really help.

Your chicks need the ability to escape and get out of sight. I use a one way gate, that they can go through but older birds cannot. Pallets would work, fence that is off the ground a few inches. Something that has small gaps in it.

Let your older birds out to free range, and lock your chicks in the run/coup for several hours. Give them some mock chases so they find the safety zones. This lets them explore, and get some territorial rights to the space without being chased for their lives. Then close to dark let the big girls in. Put the chicks in a small crate, and put that in the coop. I would open the crate in the morning after the pullets leave the coop. Let the chicks venture forth on their terms.

Mrs K

Pictures of your set up would really help.

Do you have hide outs in the run? So often people have bare runs. An interesting run has hide outs, multiple feed bowls positioned so that while eating at one bowl, they cannot see birds at another bowl. Mini walls, were a bird can step out of sight can really help.

Your chicks need the ability to escape and get out of sight. I use a one way gate, that they can go through but older birds cannot. Pallets would work, fence that is off the ground a few inches. Something that has small gaps in it.

Let your older birds out to free range, and lock your chicks in the run/coup for several hours. Give them some mock chases so they find the safety zones. This lets them explore, and get some territorial rights to the space without being chased for their lives. Then close to dark let the big girls in. Put the chicks in a small crate, and put that in the coop. I would open the crate in the morning after the pullets leave the coop. Let the chicks venture forth on their terms.

Mrs K
Good advice!!! Planning the set up now

I’m a little overprotective and I’m worried about them when they peck them and run after them which they do a lot outside during our feee range time.
Understandable. It can look terrible when older birds harass chicks but as long as they aren't actively chasing them down and harassing them I don't consider it an issue. A hen pecking at a chick that wanders too close? Normal. A hen endlessly chasing and cornering a chick and then pecking to the point of injury? That I would be concerned with.

I very much recommend multiple feed stations as well as ample clutter as Mrs. K mentioned above. For example, here's a sample of how my run is laid out, with clutter, food and water - pink Xs are food locations:
obstacles2021.jpg

Understandable. It can look terrible when older birds harass chicks but as long as they aren't actively chasing them down and harassing them I don't consider it an issue. A hen pecking at a chick that wanders too close? Normal. A hen endlessly chasing and cornering a chick and then pecking to the point of injury? That I would be concerned with.

I very much recommend multiple feed stations as well as ample clutter as Mrs. K mentioned above. For example, here's a sample of how my run is laid out, with clutter, food and water - pink Xs are food locations:
View attachment 3277814
Wonderful diagram! I am going to post pics of my run promptly! But…. I was wondering also about what fun and stimulating things I should add to the run to keep them active and happy and less bored? They only free range with me about an hour or two a day. I live in rural fox and hawk heaven. Do you have anything I can make or things I can buy or things around the house to use as “toys”? I made a nice perch out of tree limbs that they enjoy sitting on.

Last edited:
I was wondering also about what fun and stimulating things I should add to the run to keep them active and happy and less bored?
Plenty of ideas here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ (my photo is post #56). In addition, piles of plant material such as dried leaves, straw, etc as they love to dig through those. My newest run additions (not in the diagram or photos above) are some tree stumps, and the birds have taken to pecking at the bark to try and find any bugs under it.

Back
Top Bottom