Integration woes

hahmmy

Chirping
Sep 26, 2016
Hi. I have 2 approx 24 week pullets..a barred rock and a new hampshire red. They are housed in a big coop and a run (with 10sq feet per chicken) with 4 perhaps 12 weekers..a gold laced wyandotte, a silver laced dotte, an easter egger, and a light brahma. They get along great. I have 2 nearly year olds a australorp and another ee that live in a smaller coop that i had b4 the others. I have tried several times to integrate the two older ones with the others..no luck. The older ee nearly decapitated the nhr pecking her neck and pulling out feathers. I tried isolating her and reintroducing but same result. The australorp is very sweet but she chases down the NHR too. Should i give up and keep the two flocks separated as i do now? Is it even worth trying again when all the younger ones reach full maturity? I dont want anyone to be hurt. The two olders have a big enuf coop but run just ok..but they have been free ranging when i am home so they are ok space wise. I never knew chickens were so darned territorial!

a big coop
How big.... in feet by feet?

I have tried several times to integrate the two older ones with the others..no luck
How did you try to integrate?
Do they all free range together without problems?

I'd consider closing off the smaller coop where the 2 olders are living to 'force' them to use the larger coop with the others.
Do the 2 olders check out the big coop at all?

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

I had 3 older Golden Comets and had bought more chicks, which gave me the integration issue. I'll tell you what I did.

At first, I tried to introduce some of the new chicks to my older girls and they were not having it. They pecked the snot out of the little one (no blood, but poor thing was scared) so I backed off of introducing them like that.

I had a smaller coop from when I first began my chicken adventures before I built my bigger pen and coop for them. I put my little birds in the small coop and placed that coop right next to the pen so my older girls could do the "look but don't touch" method. My older girls were very curious and stood next to the coop and clucked their little hearts out for most of the first week.

After almost 2 weeks, give or take a day or two, the older girls were no longer that interested so I began the actual process of integrating the littles into the flock. I put all of them (6 pullets, and 1 roo) in the big pen with the older girls and for a few minutes there was some chasing and bullying. No hard pecks, just general testiness. One of the younger birds actually jumped up and pecked one of the big girls and there hasn't been any issues since! I'm very glad they all get along now. The first week my (assumed) dominant hen, Blanche, just surveyed the whole thing, and my clown, Polly, would occasionally chase the little ones around for a minute, but that always stopped when the little pullets would defend themselves! It was like she was saying "okay, jeez, I get it! I'll leave you alone!"

I had two things for food and water so they could go their separate ways if needed, but they quickly got used to each other and began eating together and dust bathing together. I'm not sure if my experience is the rule or the exception, but like others have said, the "look but don't touch" method has its merits.

Very useful info!! I am getting ready to attempt to integrate 6 pullets (hopefully all 6 pullets!!) various breeds with my 4 mature Golden Comets. The 6 chicks were a gift to our Little for Easter... grrrrrr! Oh well, make the best of it - right! They are on different feeds now. I'm wondering if that will be a problem?? 2 of my hens have gone broody & the other 3 are laying almost every day. ANY TIPS?? stuckinindiana

Very useful info!! I am getting ready to attempt to integrate 6 pullets (hopefully all 6 pullets!!) various breeds with my 4 mature Golden Comets. The 6 chicks were a gift to our Little for Easter... grrrrrr! Oh well, make the best of it - right! They are on different feeds now. I'm wondering if that will be a problem?? 2 of my hens have gone broody & the other 3 are laying almost every day. ANY TIPS?? stuckinindiana
Welcome to BYC!
Would be good to start a new thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying.18/create-thread

Back
Top Bottom