International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

No- actually he got it after Chester Bennington. His crow is well... He screams. And if you ever heard of the band Linkin Park you'll get it. I love music.

By the way, since you love music, someone on another thread said they named chicks according to what song was playing when each chick hatched. I thought that was a neat idea!

Ah ah ah ahhh! :D

Oh, and thanks for the comments on my flock. Appreciate the insights. I have other breeds that I’ve learned what to look for, who to mix with who, color combinations, etc, but these guys are my first BCMs and still learning from you guys.
I'm totally still learning. I won't show but as a hobby I like to try and breed better birds. I like the puzzle. From what I've learned here you could have a not so nice parent throw great pullets or cockerels so I don't put to much pressure into how the parents look right off.

View attachment 1480140 Freckles toyed with going broody last week but when she didn't stay my man put the eggs in the fridge (it's been really humid here). Now it looks as though she is in it to win it.

Question: I'd really like to just let her sit on the CLB eggs - mated with my Blue copper cock these would be easily sexed and I wouldn't have to guess which is olive egger eggs. My only layers are him over either the Cream Legbar, freckles the cuckoo, or an Easter egger. Can I pull eggs out of the fridge? A woman I gave a marans cockerel too hatched his eggs after he was taken by a predator 17 of 19 hatched despite they were in the fridge and some had even frozen as it was winter. I only have 2 of my CLB eggs on the counter and won't give freckles eggs till the weekend long as she stays put.
I have hatched eggs that had been in the fridge. I had a good hatch. I just let them sit for a few hours. Let them warm up to room temperature before you put them under the hen. It also depends on how long they have been in the fridge.

I have hatched eggs that had been in the fridge. I had a good hatch. I just let them sit for a few hours. Let them warm up to room temperature before you put them under the hen. It also depends on how long they have been in the fridge.

I put them on the counter last night on paper towel cuz they were sweating. My man being impatient gave them to her this morning. 9 total - 2 were from past 2 days and never went in the fridge. Clock starts.

So my group is a little over 18 weeks now. Maybe some input on how the cockerel is coming along?

These are pretty indicative of his natural stance, tail angle, etc. Tried to get most angles. I know he still has some filling out to do, but thoughts are welcome! Does he have too much color on his sides? He has zero copper on the chest.
View attachment 1479986 View attachment 1479987 View attachment 1479988 View attachment 1479989 View attachment 1479991

And a pretty pullet.
View attachment 1479990

Their tail angles look really good. These days that is where my eyes go to first. He is standing upright in that first picture, is that his normal posture or just an "on high alert" pose? He definitely needs to fill out more in his breast but they generally fill out more as they get older. Otherwise I think he looks pretty good so far. His comb is wrinkled in front but as long as he is free from sprigs or other DQ type faults he can be worked with. I wouldnt worry much about his comb. Combs can be worked on later when you have more males to pick through. As long as the females have good combs you will have some good combed offspring to cull through. I like that his back is sloped downward to the tail and doesnt run uphill to the tail. His color looks good, but he may have a slight halo. The pullet looks good also, she looks like she will throw you some nice birds.

Ideally you dont want wrinkly wattles, but that is a small issue. You want their wattles to be round and not overly big or long and free from wrinkles. There is time to be picky about that later, Im not one to sweat small things much at this point in my breeding program.

Best of luck with them!

Their tail angles look really good. These days that is where my eyes go to first. He is standing upright in that first picture, is that his normal posture or just an "on high alert" pose? He definitely needs to fill out more in his breast but they generally fill out more as they get older. Otherwise I think he looks pretty good so far. His comb is wrinkled in front but as long as he is free from sprigs or other DQ type faults he can be worked with. I wouldnt worry much about his comb. Combs can be worked on later when you have more males to pick through. As long as the females have good combs you will have some good combed offspring to cull through. I like that his back is sloped downward to the tail and doesnt run uphill to the tail. His color looks good, but he may have a slight halo. The pullet looks good also, she looks like she will throw you some nice birds.

Ideally you dont want wrinkly wattles, but that is a small issue. You want their wattles to be round and not overly big or long and free from wrinkles. There is time to be picky about that later, Im not one to sweat small things much at this point in my breeding program.

Best of luck with them!

Thank you for the input!
I keep looking at tail angle too, I guess since it’s been discussed so much lately. :D
I had one male that had too many points on the comb, really funky looking, so he went to be a flock master for a mixed flock of a friend. But this guys comb was still small and unwrinkled then. Lol.

This rooster also charged my pug dog the other day. I think it was just incidental that they were both following me and got too close to each other, but I’m keeping an eye on him. If he attacks my dog, my husband will put him in the stock pot really quick.

Back
Top Bottom