International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I appreciate that chooks man, some are off a line i been working on for a couple years that i finally gave up on and some i brought in this spring from a older gentleman who just bred for hobby out of south Louisiana, i met him through a family member and caught him just has he was getting out of breeding. He said they're off of wade jean and littlepeddler lines, he has since past away so ill really never know for sure. I was just so amazed at the type when i went and looked at them, so I begged and begged and finally convinced him to sell me some chicks, i bought 60. i think I'll be able to do good things with this line. Here's a couple i just paired up for some test mating. View attachment 1583089 View attachment 1583087 View attachment 1583088 View attachment 1583092

Ah Littlepeddler line {from Monique Original birds}
I could tell they had Monique chooks line .I know her chooks very well true French Marans.

the guy you bought them from did a great work to keep the body type and body color intact . BRAVO.
I triend to tell people for a while now .how the marans hens tails should look like .your hen s are the best example . small .thing and pointed at the end .

what you to do now is to fix the comb that all .How is the egg color and type ?

chooks man

Ah Littlepeddler line {from Monique Original birds}
I could tell they had Monique chooks line .I know her chooks very well true French Marans.

the guy you bought them from did a great work to keep the body type and body color intact . BRAVO.
I triend to tell people for a while now .how the marans hens tails should look like .your hen s are the best example . small .thing and pointed at the end .

what you to do now is to fix the comb that all .How is the egg color and type ?

chooks man
Yea the man did a great job, the egg color isn't as great as i would like but a consistent 4-6. Most are right at 8 months now and egg weight averages 68 grams.

for me the comb is the most difficult to fix. I cannot find marans with good combs here. one of my hens looks like white face spanish roo:hit

I hear you my friend .
need to find at least one bird with a normal comb .
if you start with a small comb will be easier to fix and work on it than a large comb /large comb is a trouble it self even when it is correct .

there is many other factor will affect the comb size =
1} summer heat .
2} indoor chicken .not enough exposure to the sun .

chooks man

I hear you my friend .
need to find at least one bird with a normal comb .
if you start with a small comb will be easier to fix and work on it than a large comb /large comb is a trouble it self even when it is correct .

there is many other factor will affect the comb size =
1} summer heat .
2} indoor chicken .not enough exposure to the sun .

chooks man

Does high summer heat tend to make them grow larger?

Yea the man did a great job, the egg color isn't as great as i would like but a consistent 4-6. Most are right at 8 months now and egg weight averages 68 grams.

4/6 with the body type and color they have .I think is a great strain .
well rounded marans hen is better than the skinny dark egg layer .
take years of selective breeding to achieve the body type and color .maintain that please .

group the into 2 group .
one is dark egg layer
the other ,best on comb

when you achieve that .merge the 2 line .

all the best
Chooks main

Does high summer heat tend to make them grow larger?

yes my friend .
it is a cooling system for the chooks .

but for that to be true they must be carriers of the large comb genes .
the heat will just make wort .

I noticed last year when I was fattening up the cockerels indoor .small confine places for 2 months . all of them end up with a super large and floppy combs 100% .they brother s kept outdoor free ranging they did not exhibit the problem .

chooks man

photoeditor_20181031_210243377-jpg.1583089

@Magnolia Hill
this cockerel is perfect in all the area except his comb .
his comb has a major fault .double point on the first point of the comb and the on 4th point .
both point 1 and 4 of his comb have a M type point .
the size of his comb is good
the texture of it is good
the end of it is good well lifted .

ONLY THE @ POINT

if his comb did not had fault he will score a 98 points 100% at any show .

you are not far way .
test mate him and see which hen is the best for him .

chooks man

photoeditor_20181031_210243377-jpg.1583089

@Magnolia Hill
here what I see in your rooster =
1}- great body type .robust and long body ,well put together . nice carriage .solid stund 10/10/
2}head = strong .full of vigor , clear from any unwanted fluff .
3} eyes = great well colored and correct size .
4}Beak = short .strong ,nice color .good shape.
5}Ears lobe = correct .medium size .red color .
6}Ears tuft = correct coppery color.
7}Wattles = correct size .form and shape ,round free free any folding or splitting .

8} Neck .strong well arched , correctly colored hackle feathers .rich and lush copper .free from gross flames at the bottom of it/ well open at front { chest area}
9} Back = long ,wide and flat . gorgeously colored .
10} Chest = Deep .wide .well lifted without been too high from the ground . lovely and uniform black feathers with a minimum sheen
11} Saddle = lush and well colored /
12} Tail = short .wide at the bass . great angle .
13} Wing nicely colored and well held close to the body .great .
14} Leg = short , straight .wide .lovely dark color .well feathered .
15} Plumage = good shape .nice black color ,free from fluff or parasitic white .

JUST ONE FAULT . BLOODY DOUBLED POINT COMB .

was my pleasure commenting on this rooster . Perfection almost achieved .

BRAVO

chooks man

img_20181106_165748-jpg.1583384

@Auroradream26
what a great setting .your chooks are well lucky . nice flock too well chuncky .solid birds .they not going to fly with a wind for sure .

I really like they body type you need to watch they tail angle .it is on the the highest point can t go higher than tan .60 Degree angle is the max .45 is the desirable on,

your rooster and the hen next to him have a same tail angle .

img_20181106_165741-jpg.1583383

this hen seem to have the correct tail .angle and form /
img_20181106_165752-jpg.1583376

this last hen ,seem to have a nice tail too .maybe it is a same one ?

mark they eggs than you ll know which chick come from hen .this hen her babies will have a nice tail for sure .

a good thing about your flock ,they all have a great type and they are chunky 70 points at the show is in the bag for sure .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom