International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thanks buddy! They have probably worried 10 years off my life so at least they are coming along. Just have to figure out eye color and weed out marbled and dark eyed birds. Split wing is also showing up in small numbers, not high volumes but its there. There is still a lot of work to be done but I enjoy them. :)

It’s always something it seems.

Hi All, I’ve been a sometimes lurker on this thread but @jolenesdad in the meatbirds thread suggested I post here about some BCM meatbird questions. We have a BCM rooster and hen that my daughter bred with the intention of harvesting meatbirds in the fall. I’ve attached their pictures just for fun. We’ve just harvested one 4 month (18 wk) old BCM cockerel and he had nice legs, not a lot of breast, but that’s what we expected from the breed. 4 lb 2 oz dressed weight. However, he had so many pin feathers! We also harvested some 4 mo BCMx Ameraucana cockerels and pullets and they also had tons of pinfeathers. Since the birds are black feathered with pink skin, those pinfeathers really show. I’m wondering if you all have any insight as to ideal age to butcher BCM for meat? Thanks.
My husband just did 4 marans cockerels yesterday in about 25 minutes. He just peeled the entire skin and feathers off. That's certainly one way to not end of with any pin feathers.

You guys all make me so envious with your lovely birds. I cannot for the life of me find anyone near me with Marans. One person has some, but their eggs are not even a 4, and their pullets are almost all black. Since Covid, and the border closure, being in Canada I may as well be on an island.. LOL I guess I will just have to do my best with my 3 pullets and be happy with making some CLB babies and Olive Eggers... and keep on searching.
I got a fairy egg yesterday.. I am hoping it isn't from one of my Marans pullets,(because it wasn't very dark) but I think it probably is. It was a fair size for a first egg, but looked just like a Welsummer egg. None today. I will have to try and catch her in the act to see who it is. My Marans are just 21 wks, and my Easter Eggers/Olive Eggers are 17 wk. So It could be anyone.
Would 21 wks be early for a Marans hen to lay? Sound too early, right? Im hoping its one of my Welsummer/Marans/EE mixes that are 17 weeks.
Here it is. Hmmp. Dont know how it ended up sideways. Sorry.

What do you think? Marans? :hitWas hoping for darker...

1601346243541.png

Last edited:
You guys all make me so envious with your lovely birds. I cannot for the life of me find anyone near me with Marans. One person has some, but their eggs are not even a 4, and their pullets are almost all black. Since Covid, and the border closure, being in Canada I may as well be on an island.. LOL I guess I will just have to do my best with my 3 pullets and be happy with making some CLB babies and Olive Eggers... and keep on searching.
I got a fairy egg yesterday.. I am hoping it isn't from one of my Marans pullets,(because it wasn't very dark) but I think it probably is. It was a fair size for a first egg, but looked just like a Welsummer egg. None today. I will have to try and catch her in the act to see who it is. My Marans are just 21 wks, and my Easter Eggers/Olive Eggers are 17 wk. So It could be anyone.
Would 21 wks be early for a Marans hen to lay? Sound too early, right? Im hoping its one of my Welsummer/Marans/EE mixes that are 17 weeks.
Here it is. Hmmp. Dont know how it ended up sideways. Sorry.

What do you think? Marans? :hitWas hoping for darker...

View attachment 2352556

Did Barbara Doddington respond to your inquiry? She has nice BCMs.

Took a few quick pics of my youngest grow outs while doing my chores.

This cockerel has poor quality copper but he has a wide tail from the rear and a nice top line. Im keeping my eye on him. He may still be useful despite his grandsire's hackle. Or we may end up eating him.

View attachment 2351916

This cockerel is young and still pretty much black but has nice type and topline for this age.

View attachment 2351917

A nice pullet (back) that looks like she will have good type and topline. Then there is the dark eyed cockerel with a halo in front of her. He is a cull. The lighter colored birds in the pen are Games.

View attachment 2351918

love they type ,chunky and long .lovely tail angle at this age .great head and legs .
I like the young cockerel better . gorgeous every thing for the moment ,just we have to wait for the copper to appear . hope is correct . who is a sire?
do no keep the golden hackle cockerels .you have to finish with this fault ,can t let it establish it self and become bred true fault ,than will be very hard to breed it out .

I m please for you ,you have paired Dark Angel with your hens .wishing you a great hatch .

chooks man

Here is Broken Wing. He is all healed up and being his lovely self. So far he is my favorite. Lovely type and topline so far. Nice copper, clear eyes, and good comb.

View attachment 2352165
View attachment 2352166u

oh yeah we are talking good now .he is sublime . he is your ticket out of the trouble .look after him like he is the only one in the farm .
I like him very much . Sire please?
you have done great ,quality is always greater than quantity .

chooks man

Another cockerel I'm watching. He is younger than BW. Loving his type and top line so far. His copper is looking like it will be good and not too light.

View attachment 2352170View attachment 2352176

he is good if his copper turn up correct because his thighs and rear are too fluffy . not good .we are looking for tight plumage and fluff .
love is body type and head . this guy really need time to grow more .they change so many time .one time they look good ,other time they look bad .back and forth till they are mature .
I do love the length of the back and tail set on your youngsters .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom