Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Pics
FOR SALE: Iowa Blue rooster, fall 2011 farm hatch, parents are IB spring 2011 stock from Privett Hatchery (NM), no vaccines, no hormones, no antibiotics, organically raised and free-ranged on 9+yrs chemical-free pasture since hatched on our farm. No shipping available. Buyer must pick up from site in Eatonville, WA. If interested, please private message me through this page.

March Hatch:

One of my IBs. Roo from Sandhill, Hen from Trishia. Privett stock I think.

IB chick from J-HACS Farm.

These are two of 7 IB chicks that we hatched in March. The hatch rate was not great, but I am excited for the chicks we got.

Quote: Here are a couple of pictures of the cockeral I got from Kerri:

He likes to pose for the camera.

I have high hopes for this one. Flanking him are two of his four Welsummer girl friends. They are from Trisha.

Kari,
Is the pattern on the rooster in the Spartacus photo called birchen? I've looked through a bunch of threads to understand how birchen looks.
I think there was an earlier post (don't remember who made it) saying some folks are trying to select against birchen. How Come?
To me, two accepted colorations, birchen or not birchen, boosts the likely hood more people would like the Iowa Blue overall.

Yes, he's a nice Birchen. Definately the best out of that hatch - shoulda kept him
lol.png
It may be his lacing extends a bit too far down his chest for the traditional description, but at least it IS lacing! I have spangling or sometimes just smears of silver on the many of the others. I am breeding for both varieties, though I think many people look at the Birchen as the true color. If you have Story's Illustrated Guide to Chicken Breeds, the hen in there is silver laced/penciled, not birchen.

Back
Top Bottom