Irresponsible neighbor and his roaming chickens

Pics

chickeneighbor

Hatching
Mar 15, 2019
Not my flock: Our neighbor has a flock of about 30 free range chickens that are roaming the neighborhood. We already have a 4' cattle fence separating his property from ours, but it does not keep the chickens out of my yard. We do have a farm, horses, but we do not have chickens. If I wanted chickens I would get them. I want to walk outside without stepping in chicken poop. I want to not get swarmed when I go in my yard. I want to fertilize/weed kill my lawn. I'd like to go approach the neighbor with suggestions, like: we are fertilizing, keep your chickens locked up for XX days, etc. I'm afraid if the chickens or people get sick he will try suing us. Any suggestions/guidelines? History - He tried to sue us when we built our horse barn for blocking his view of our property, and blocking the sun from the solar panels on the roof of his house, built on a hill above our property, surrounded by 60' tall oak trees. I wish I was kidding. He also had chickens many years ago, including a very aggressive rooster that would "fly" at you with it's talons out. We talked to him, and called the police several times and his solution was to follow one of the chickens onto our property and kill it in from of my young daughter. The police did nothing, he was retrieving his "property" from our yard. Do I need to talk to a lawyer? HELP!

Not my flock: Our neighbor has a flock of about 30 free range chickens that are roaming the neighborhood. We already have a 4' cattle fence separating his property from ours, but it does not keep the chickens out of my yard. We do have a farm, horses, but we do not have chickens. If I wanted chickens I would get them. I want to walk outside without stepping in chicken poop. I want to not get swarmed when I go in my yard. I want to fertilize/weed kill my lawn. I'd like to go approach the neighbor with suggestions, like: we are fertilizing, keep your chickens locked up for XX days, etc. I'm afraid if the chickens or people get sick he will try suing us. Any suggestions/guidelines? History - He tried to sue us when we built our horse barn for blocking his view of our property, and blocking the sun from the solar panels on the roof of his house, built on a hill above our property, surrounded by 60' tall oak trees. I wish I was kidding. He also had chickens many years ago, including a very aggressive rooster that would "fly" at you with it's talons out. We talked to him, and called the police several times and his solution was to follow one of the chickens onto our property and kill it in from of my young daughter. The police did nothing, he was retrieving his "property" from our yard. Do I need to talk to a lawyer? HELP!

Wow. What a jerk.
Obviously talking to this guy isn't going to do you any good.
Have you tried animal control?

“Animal control” isn’t always an option. Here it would be the local sheriff, and I’m sure he would say it would be fine to turn those chickens into soup.

Maybe you should check with your local law enforcement if you don’t have “animal control” in your area and see if that would be an option. Free range chickens are picked off all the time by predators.

Or, put up a higher fence, and when one of his chickens flies over it you can catch it, clip it’s wings so it can’t do it again, and toss it back over on his side.

Putting up a higher fence shouldn't ever be the non-chicken owners responsibility. Here in MO a livestock owner is responsible for fencing to keep in their animals not the neighbor.
I agree that it shouldn’t be the non-chicken owner’s responsibility, but the neighbor obviously isn’t doing anything to keep his chickens off OP’s property, so OP will have to take that step themselves if they don’t want chickens in their yard.

Back
Top Bottom