Is anyone else waiting for a chick order? CHICK PICS!!

69377_baby_chicks_10-15-2010.jpg

The blue baby Wyandottes arrived today from Privett. They look very healthy and adorable.

I got the call at 10:15 this morning from the post office. I answered the phone and she goes is this Sue? Yes I say. She says... "There's a lot of peeping going on down here". LOL

My order for 33 chicks from Welp arrived. There are a couple that seemed a bit lethargic at first, but are up moving around now. Everybody got hydrated and warmed up before I started taking pictures. They sure like the chick starter. And I received 38 chicks. I expected a couple extra, but 5 seemed generous. But I'll certainly take them.

When I checked my account this morning and the chick order hadn't hit the bank yet I was a bit concerned that they wouldn't come. But they arrived right on time.

UGAchick - yes, it's a pack 'n play. My daughter & I each had one, but since we're now sharing a house, we don't need 2. So it was a good use for the one sitting in the storage shed.
BooBear - I was hoping from your pic of a Blue Wyandotte I'd be able to tell which ones were my Blue Wyandottes, but no. I think the only ones I can be reasonably sure of are the Buff Wyandottes (the only yellow chicks) and the Ameraucanas with their little tufts and bowlingball round heads from their beards. Actually I received 3 yellow chicks. Two are probably the Buff Wyandottes, the 3rd has a much rounder looking head and may be an Ameraucana. <snicker>
dParadise - we have drastic weather changes too. It's supposed to reach 85 today, but was only 31 yesterday morning at 5 a.m.

This is how they arrived, just 3 hours ago... chick box sides 1 & 2. I think the dark ones with the spot of white on the head might be the Barred Rocks?

100_2169.jpg

100_2168.jpg

After getting their little beaks dunked, they mostly wanted to huddle under the light and get warmed up good.
100_2175.jpg

Once they warmed up they were peeping, running around, getting water and pecking the feed.

100_2171.jpg

100_2172.jpg

100_2174.jpg

100_2179.jpg

I'll get more individualized pictures once everybody is settled in.

My Ideal $0.99 bantam specials.

The mailman delivered my babies around 2:30 this afternoon. I kindly pointed out the phone number on the box "for future reference."

I ordered 30 chicks and got 30 chicks. One was very lethargic and died pretty quickly, despite my best efforts. Two were spraddle legged and are now taped and hobbling around pretty well.

This is what they looked like when they got here:
50487_100_1939.jpg

I am only able to identify the silkies and cochins because they have feathered feet and I know the difference in skin color. Otherwise I am clueless as to what I have. I received 3 cochins, all look to be a different color and only one is black
sad.png

I have a few silkies, most buff looking. Like this:
50487_100_1965.jpg

I got several silver chicks. Anyone know what they are?:
50487_100_1950.jpg

Any guesses as to what this dude is?
50487_100_1962.jpg

I have several chipmunk colored ones (one even has a white tummy), with dark and light legs. And one is really tiny:
50487_100_1957.jpg

What am I??:
50487_100_1951.jpg

Thanks for your help identifying these breeds.
In general I am happy with the condition of the birds. I was not surprised to see that one was lethargic (it is a long trip), but was disappointed with the few that have leg troubles. I wonder if those developed on the way or were apparent at hatch.

I got a blue colored chick with black legs too. I was told it was a blue self OEGB I think. And the chipmunk looking ones I think are either OEGB or Bantam EE chicks.

Here are some more pics of my baby blue Wyandottes. I am using a red bulb in the hutch which my camera is really picking up on with a red glow in all of my pics.

69377_dsc00019.jpg

69377_dsc00018.jpg

my babies range from a soft slate to a dark color. Some have dark legs, some have lighter legs, some have speckled faces and beaks, some have dark faces with black beaks, some have light faces with light beaks.

I'm sooo in love with my new bantam chicks I'm tempted to order another batch but IDK what I would do with all of them. They are just sooo darn cute!

Back
Top Bottom