Is it normal for my duckling to sleep by the water ?

Gearhead846

Am I bleeding?
Premium Feather Member
Dec 6, 2021
I have been noticing that just about every time that I have gone into my ducklings brooder that they are almost always sleeping, and sleeping right next to the water is that normal? And approx. How long do 3 week old ducklings sleep everyday

Thanks

20211210_051853.jpg

I know it is kind of hard to see but the ducklings are in the yellow circle, and the water is in the white circle and they'll sleep there practically all night

My ducklings would do this, they love water what else can I say? lol Looks like your waterer is a good one so they can't climb into it. Making sure they are warm enough in case they do get wet is important. Make sure to keep tabs on temp in your brooder so they aren't too warm which could be one reason they are sleeping alot, At 3 weeks temp should be around 75-80. Also if no stimulation can make one want to sleep. Do they get any time outside of the brooder? If you have decent weather above 60 take them little ones outside let them run around some, Just watch they don't get chilled. Doesn't have to be a long time maybe 15 minutes it just gives them stimulation which is important,

It's a natural instinct for ducks to sleep by water. Then, if danger approaches, they quickly jump or fly into the water. It's interesting that this instinct could show up at such a young age. I wonder, too, if it's possible they are by the water because it's more humid there, and feels too dry in the rest of the brooder. Or as Miss Lydia says, they simply love water and want to be close to it at all times!

Last edited:
I would love to take them outside but I just got 6 in of snow and they are scared to death of me. What do you recommend ?
Can you let them run around inside in a room that would be safe? And if you sit on the floor with them just chilling they may just start getting curious about you. Having something like a handful of dried meal worms tossed out towards them can help. And it’s very natural for them to go through a period where we look like the axe murderer to them. If you stay consistent with just sitting with them hopefully that will change. Now we need more pictures!

Can you let them run around inside in a room that would be safe? And if you sit on the floor with them just chilling they may just start getting curious about you. Having something like a handful of dried meal worms tossed out towards them can help. And it’s very natural for them to go through a period where we look like the axe murderer to them. If you stay consistent with just sitting with them hopefully that will change. Now we need more pictures!
Why more pictures?

Back
Top Bottom