KindVonDerMond

Songster
Aug 25, 2017
Hello! I'm quite new to this whole chicken rearing thing (I don't even have a flock yet, or a coop for that matter!) and I was curious on the health issues of petting your chickens. Some people I've met cuddle and pet their chickens as much as they can, others tell me not to touch them without gloves, and to wash my hands vigorously afterwords for fear of salmonella. I understand washing my hands, but the gloves seem like a bit much!
So is it safe to touch and pet my chickens? I desperately want to, but I don't want to get myself or others sick either! Thank you for your time!

You are safe to touch and pet your chickens, if they are very healthy you can occasionally kiss their feathers, but not many folks suggest this.

Just be sure to wash your hands extra good, you can use diluted water and Clorox as a wash. Or soap, just wash your hands and you're good. :)

None of us on here don't pet our chickens! Ha ha.

-The Angry Hen

You are safe to touch and pet your chickens, if they are very healthy you can occasionally kiss their feathers, but not many folks suggest this.

Just be sure to wash your hands extra good, you can use diluted water and Clorox as a wash. Or soap, just wash your hands and you're good. :)
Thank you! I'm so relieved I won't have to treat my ladies like they're in quarantine!

I'm pretty new to the world of chickies, too, but I'll say that if I can't pet my chickens, what's the point? I
Clean their run daily, deep clean weekly, and spend a lot of time just hanging out with my girls. I'm a biology teacher, so let me throw this in. Yes, chickens have some icky ways, and yes, they have some thing we can catch in their poo, feathers, feet, etc. That said, cats carry a parasite that is thought to infect your brain so that you're compelled to love your cat more. Dogs eat dead anything. We don't stop petting them, and probably let them get a little too friendly with the snuggles and kisses. Like with any pet, use common sense. Change shoes and clothes you've worn while cuddling your hens, don't put the hens' feet in your mouth, etc. Wash your hands more than seems normal, use hand sanitizer if you want. (But then wash again--- that .01 percent of bacteria that purely doesn't kill just feeds on the other dead bacteria...eeew) In my thoughts, having a good relationship with your girls where they don't mind being handled will ultimately keep you safer. You'll have pest free chickens, can treat them for wounds, and physically check their health. If you're eating their eggs or meat, their health is your health. Just love them, wash your hands, and sanitize your phone with rubbing alcohol if you bring it into your run and take a lot of pictures after handling them. Happy hen hugs!

Attachments

• IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    812.5 KB · Views: 52
Hello! I'm quite new to this whole chicken rearing thing (I don't even have a flock yet, or a coop for that matter!) and I was curious on the health issues of petting your chickens. Some people I've met cuddle and pet their chickens as much as they can, others tell me not to touch them without gloves, and to wash my hands vigorously afterwords for fear of salmonella. I understand washing my hands, but the gloves seem like a bit much!
So is it safe to touch and pet my chickens? I desperately want to, but I don't want to get myself or others sick either! Thank you for your time!
You definitely can pet your chickens, I let my ride around on my shoulder

Any person who has backyard chickens like me, you can pet them because some breeds love it and but you can't kiss them because they have semolina a disease or virus that infects your stomach and makes you sick. I recommend to pet them and not kiss them but when you go back home take off your clothes wash your hands and take a shower.

Back
Top Bottom