is my Cogburn for sure a rooster?

twilightgecko

Songster
May 25, 2016
Upstate N.Y.

i am a first time chicken mama.. so i'm not sure about gender yet.. because i am leaning towards rooster, he's been nicknamed Cogburn.. 21 weeks old.. his comb and waddles look to be the same size of the neighbours 3 year old new hampshire red hens.. no spurs yet but the leg dimple feels a little pointy.. is not crowing at all.. body feathers look identical to the other barred rock hens.. not sure at what age the rooster traits and such start.. he's not any larger than the other birds either..
but.. he is the sweetest of all my 9 birds.. he's our lap chicken..

any opinions ?

really? oh yes.... as for the leg spurs.. some of the hens just have a little button.. or dimple.. Cogburn's feel a wee bit pointy.. but i'm sooo excited..

but i have one more bird in question.. this is Crab Apple.. my gorgeous black australorp.. also 21 weeks.. other than her comb being a little redder than the other Australorps, their tails all look the same, none getting longer. no longer hackles.. and no crowing..

and thankyou so much for your words of wisdom.. :) appreciate your knowledge.. :)

really? oh yes.... as for the leg spurs.. some of the hens just have a little button.. or dimple.. Cogburn's feel a wee bit pointy.. but i'm sooo excited..

but i have one more bird in question.. this is Crab Apple.. my gorgeous black australorp.. also 21 weeks.. other than her comb being a little redder than the other Australorps, their tails all look the same, none getting longer. no longer hackles.. and no crowing..

and thankyou so much for your words of wisdom.. :) appreciate your knowledge.. :)
Another beautiful pullet! Going to give you, if not already, eggs any day now!

thank you soooo much.. i feel so relieved and happy.. even if they were roosters, i don't think i could've gotten rid of them.. they are my BABIES..

Agree you have two pretty pullets. From the looks of the combs, you should be getting eggs literally any day now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom