Is my hen sick?!!!

Chicken_loverXx

Songster
Mar 11, 2020
Northern Ireland
8132687B-A91B-4E9A-8956-1E7CFA99E3EF.jpeg
My chicken berry seemed sick today she wasnt acting the way she normally does and her comb has become much more floppier and a bit purple she would keep her eyes closed too. I was just wondering if there could be something wrong.x

How old is she?
When is the last time she laid an egg?
What does her poop look like?

If she is acting sick, it would be good to look her over and monitor her.
See that her crop is emptying overnight, check her for lice/mites and feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid.

I would also watch her to see if she is eating/drinking too.

How old is she?

See that her crop is emptying overnight, check her for lice/mites and feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid.

I’m not sure how old she is but she’s a rescue so not that old and berry can’t rly lay eggs cause of her being a rescue but today she seems so much better she’s eating and drinking and running about so maybe it was just like a 24 hour thing but I’m going to keep an eye on her p.s she slept with my other chicken and her babies so is it possible she could have been tired?

How old is she?

Attachments

• 12D4BB21-107C-4387-91E4-ABC6E5FF9838.jpeg
    12D4BB21-107C-4387-91E4-ABC6E5FF9838.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 068B6CB0-527A-4FA3-B6E9-7F39DDCA8870.jpeg
    068B6CB0-527A-4FA3-B6E9-7F39DDCA8870.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 2
I’m not sure how old she is but she’s a rescue so not that old and berry can’t rly lay eggs cause of her being a rescue but today she seems so much better she’s eating and drinking and running about so maybe it was just like a 24 hour thing but I’m going to keep an eye on her p.s she slept with my other chicken and her babies so is it possible she could have been tired?
She's a rescue? Like an ex battery hen or....?

Help me understand a bit more - I'm not sure what being a rescue had to do with her not laying eggs unless she's an older production hen.
I would feel her abdomen to see if there's any bloat/swelling or fluid. In your first post, she does not look like she feels too well. She may be beginning to have some reproductive issues.

You note she slept with the other chicken and her babies - was that on the floor and not roosting like she normally would? (where does she usually sleep?)
If she chose to sleep like on the floor instead of roosting, then I would further suspect she's not feeling that well - most hens that I have had that changed their sleeping habits/location had reproductive issues.

She's a rescue? Like an ex battery hen or....?

Help me understand a bit more - I'm not sure what being a rescue had to do with her not laying eggs unless she's an older production hen.
I would feel her abdomen to see if there's any bloat/swelling or fluid. In your first post, she does not look like she feels too well. She may be beginning to have some reproductive issues.

You note she slept with the other chicken and her babies - was that on the floor and not roosting like she normally would? (where does she usually sleep?)
If she chose to sleep like on the floor instead of roosting, then I would further suspect she's not feeling that well - most hens that I have had that changed their sleeping habits/location had reproductive issues.
I’m sorry I’m not very experienced with chickens but yes she is an ex battery hen she seems to be back to her self so I think everything is okay

Just because they're ex battery hens doesn't mean they don't lay, it just means they don't lay enough for factories to consider them worth keeping. I have some hens that are almost seven that still lay an egg at least once every week- two weeks.

And sometimes combs just flop. Some breeds are more prone to it than others, and I have a girl that for some reason hers flops whenever she's brooding or caring for chicks.

Back
Top Bottom