Is there such a thing as Brown Sex Link? (using Barring gene)

Here is the first glimpse of the Brown Sex Link Spitz crosses. On the thermometer side of the fence are the 2 Spitz-Legbars. On the other side, there are 3 Spitz-Olive Eggers mixed in the crowd, including the one that's still wet. @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome @MysteryChicken and @tadkerson were right about the Spitz crosses having Spitz-looking down with brown heads. It sure looks like they all have solid heads, so either I lucked out with 7 girls, or maybe barring head spots are harder to see on this base? I'll post better photos once they're all dry & fluffy.

All 13 eggs hatched! I managed to get a quick video while I was moving the fluffy ones to the brooder.

Ok, so now the fun begins! Here are the Spitz over Legbar chicks at less than 1 day old. One seems to be a little redder on the head, but I don't see anything that might look like barring spots. What do you think? Are these both pullets?
SpitzxLegbar_chicks.png

Here's what the genetics calculator said to expect
Genetics_Calculator_SpitzxLegbar_F1.png

Here are the Spitz over Olive Egger (Legbar over Welsummer) chicks at less than 1 day old. Is it possible they are all pullets? Chick #1 has more red, including beak, maybe from Welsummer genes?

Chick #1
SpitzxOE_chick1.png

Chick #2
SpitzxOE_chick2.png

Chick #3 (only 4-5 hours old, so it may lighten up as it fluffs)
SpitzxOE_chick3.png

Here are the Spitz over Olive Egger (Legbar over Welsummer) chicks at less than 1 day old. Is it possible they are all pullets?

I think I see a bit of lighter fluff on the head of chick #2, but I would expect the spot associated with barring to be bigger than what I see. :idunno

It's fairly common for 3 chicks to be all pullets-- statistically, 3 pullets "should" happen about 1/8 of the time.

Even counting the others, it's still few enough chicks that they could all be one gender withough straining credibility too far.

Or, as you suggested, the head spot might not show up well on this down color.

I will definitely be watching for updates as they grow!

Those cute little feet just reminded me--they should also have sex-linked skin color (daughters dark like the father, sons light like the mother.) Works the same as any of the other sex-linked genes: father with the recessive (dark= blue or green), mother with the dominant (light= white or yellow).

I'm seeing lots of dark feet, so there's another check on whether they could be all pullets.

Here are the Spitzy Sisters (all sired by our Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben), just shy of 4 weeks old.

Spitzcross_4weeks_1.JPG

Scarlet wasn't much in the mood for a photo shoot today (red band above), but I did manage to get close-ups of her sisters...

Here are the two girls who hatched from blue eggs (Cream Legbar)
Spitz-Legbar_4weeks_1.jpg

These girls came from olive green eggs (Cream Legbar x Welsummer).
Spitz-OE_4weeks_1.JPG Spitz-OE_4weeks_2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom