Is this a worm? Poop photo

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
We set up poop boards yesterday and today I was scooping and noticed what I think is a worm. David thinks it intestinal lining PXL_20230905_135542299.MP.jpg PXL_20230905_140019553.MP.jpg

And one of my chickens did this too!
PXL_20230905_140747802.jpg PXL_20230905_140747802.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230905_140739889.jpg
    PXL_20230905_140739889.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I don't see anything that looks like a worm. I see pretty normal droppings and some feather sheath dust on them, and maybe some feather fibers. How old are they? Do you have birds molting? The watery ones could be from drinking a lot of water if it's hot where you are, and I'm assuming since you are in the panhandle, that it is.

I don't see anything that looks like a worm. I see pretty normal droppings and some feather sheath dust on them, and maybe some feather fibers. How old are they? Do you have birds molting? The watery ones could be from drinking a lot of water if it's hot where you are, and I'm assuming since you are in the panhandle, that it is.
It's been in the 90s. The one that roosts over the watery one laid her first egg 2 days ago. That was the only watery spot out of 16 chickens

Three 22-week-old pullets roost over the watery part. The rest is 12 week-old chicks.

I see a feather here and there, but no birds missing lots of feathers like I would expect with molt - but we are new to this

Your twelve week olds are still feathering out, they go through several juvenile molts before they have their first full set of adult feathers somewhere around 20 weeks, it can vary, so that is likely where all the feather shaft dust is coming from. Unless you see signs of illness I suspect the watery droppings are from water intake. I deal with runnier droppings all summer long, once it starts cooling off my poop boards are SO much easier to clean off every morning! If you see a lot of intestinal shed (occasional can be normal) that is more than occasional, mucousy droppings, or bloody droppings, those can be indications of parasites.

Your twelve week olds are still feathering out, they go through several juvenile molts before they have their first full set of adult feathers somewhere around 20 weeks, it can vary, so that is likely where all the feather shaft dust is coming from. Unless you see signs of illness I suspect the watery droppings are from water intake. I deal with runnier droppings all summer long, once it starts cooling off my poop boards are SO much easier to clean off every morning! If you see a lot of intestinal shed (occasional can be normal) that is more than occasional, mucousy droppings, or bloody droppings, those can be indications of parasites.
Wonderful! Thank you. The poop boards are new, so it's the first I've noticed these things.

It's always good to notice. Sometimes it's the first clue that something may be going on.
Yes. Our roost bars were over my head when we first built the coop. Difficult to clean. I went in one day and there was blood everywhere. It looked like someone had tried to murder the chickens. It was coccidiosis. I wanted boards since then because they seem easier to clean and easier monitor. Florida heat has been unbearable though and it's finally been cool enough (if you consider 92° cool enough) to do something with it.

I know, I'm in Florida too! What others consider to be miserable, we think is a pleasant cool off! I'm always glad when the worst of summer is past. Between worrying about heat stroke, and food spoilage, it's a big relief. As well as actually being able to get some of the big jobs done without passing out.

Back
Top Bottom