Is this baby chick a frizzle?

FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
I have a baby Jersey giant chick that I ordered from Tractor Supplies website and something’s off about it. It’s four weeks old and all the other chicks are feathering out like normal but this particular chick isn’t feathering out like the others. She only has feathers on her wing tips and the rest is just baby fluff. The only thing I can think of is that she might have the frizzle gene.

Attachments

• 8453883A-6F86-4A6B-B195-4B8CE6F859BB.jpeg
    8453883A-6F86-4A6B-B195-4B8CE6F859BB.jpeg
    879.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 17FF0516-A5A3-49B3-8016-7D3C6619F7E2.jpeg
    17FF0516-A5A3-49B3-8016-7D3C6619F7E2.jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 24
Frizzle feathers usually bend away from the body, so you may need to wait for more feathers till you can tell what's going on there. There is a gene for slow feathering as well though - they're used for auto-sexing in some breeds as a female can only carry one copy of this gene and males can get two for a 'super' double dose of slow feathering.
I'm raising a breed that's known for slow feathering at the moment and am giving them extra protein to help boost their feather production, which has been going well. They are much further along than the same breed from my last hatch and feather quality is better as well.
Fish is really good for this as it's lean and nutrient dense - in particular, I've found a 50% protein dried salmon 'pet' treat I've been offering on occasion along with dried crickets and the occasional handful of mealworms (in moderation, the latter in particular is quite fatty). Black Soldier fly larvae would be very good as well.

Purinas all flock raiser and the get broccoli, bamboo shoots, and tuna and strawberries every now and then

Ok, good. If you feed things aside from regular feed, like the strawberries and such, make sure you have grit available to them. This way they have something in their gizzards to grind up the bits. At this age, I've found parakeet grit to be about the right size.

BJG are a slower growing breed, but mine haven’t been that slow to feather in. They generally feathered in similarly to the other breeds, with the exception of slower to appear tail feathers, and slower to get in male hackle feathers, or fill out fully with feathers (as they are heavily feathered). However, your genetic strain may simply be a slower feathering strain. Time will tell on the frizzle part. Cute chick!

Back
Top Bottom