Is this Bumblefoot? Help! No weight-bearing after injury

hhurrell

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2019
Hello! My >1 year old female pekin duck hurt her leg last week when she got tangled in some briars. I tended to her wounds day-of and they seem to be healing nicely, but one week later and she still won't put weight on it and it sits out to the side. The toes are very swollen and she refuses to move the leg, even in water (might be broken toe?). Her Achilles is still attached and functional so it is not a slipped tendon, but I am wondering if it might be Bumblefoot. Her wounds are all scabbed over and healing nicely, but the swelling is still there, and there is no telltale big black scab. We have had her legs wrapped with a figure eight to keep the leg from splaying more, as well as doing intensive physical therapy with her, and yesterday she tried to take a couple steps on it which was good. We have her on round-the-clock baby aspirin for the swelling and pain, as well as vitamin supplements and manganese supplements. We have her separated in a pen in our heated garage. Based on her hesitance though, I am still wondering if it might be Bumblefoot and if I should go through with a course of antibiotics. I have never had a problem with Bumblefoot in any of my ducks, so I am no expert on diagnosing it. I have attached pictures of her feet and if anyone could tell me if this looks like Bumblefoot, that would be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU!!!
IMG_3024.jpeg
IMG_3028.jpeg
IMG_3029.jpeg
IMG_3030.jpeg
IMG_3031.jpeg

Last edited:
Today the webbing between her toes seems to be stiff, her beak has lost color, and she has lost her appetite. Any hopes on a diagnosis with these new symptoms or is she just starting to give up?

I have attached pictures of her feet and if anyone could tell me if this looks like Bumblefoot, that would be greatly appreciated.

It does not look like bumblefoot to me. It sure looks swollen compared to the other foot so no doubt it might be sore. I don't see any signs of infections, but antibiotics will probably not hurt. I'm thinking maybe she sprained her foot getting tangled up in the briars and I hope that the swelling will resolve itself over a few days.

I think you are doing about everything you can for her, and she will have a good chance of recovery. Will be looking forward to hearing more on the progress of your girl. Best wishes.

maybe some meloxicam from vet or aspirin in her water to help the inflammation? my duck is having walking problems & i brought her to the vet. would not recommend that unless they know about ducks which this one doesn’t. good luck, i hope your baby is better soon!

I have some meloxicam so I'll see if that brings the swelling down. Any recommendations for antibiotics, dosage, and where to find them?

I read that preparation H actually helps bring down the swelling and tried that and this morning her foot is so much less swollen and much more mobile. However, I fear she's on her way out. She seems a little listless and keeps laying her head down and has no interest in food or water, so I did a Nutri-drench this morning hoping that would perk her up. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?

I read that preparation H actually helps bring down the swelling and tried that and this morning her foot is so much less swollen and much more mobile. However, I fear she's on her way out. She seems a little listless and keeps laying her head down and has no interest in food or water, so I did a Nutri-drench this morning hoping that would perk her up. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?

how did things go?

Back
Top Bottom