Is this bumblefoot? How to treat?

Linita

Chirping
Dec 16, 2022
My pet quail has a rare yeast skin infection I have diagnosed her with books and a swab after two useless vet visits.
It's located on her chest, upper legs and a bit around her head.

I am looking for a new vet (a useful one) to take her. But today I just have noticed a bump in her feet. It can't have been there long because I check her a lot. Maybe a couple days tops.

Her other leg is fine.

Is this bumblefoot? If so, how to treat it? since it's not advanced. Any tips?

Right now she's on shavings. They get changed regularly. I don't even understand how could she possibly hurt her foot, but maybe she got the tiniest cut, the yeast attacked, and then bacteria joined the party. The other parts attacked by the yeast don't look so swollen and red. This has to be a bit infected by a bacteria.

I have wiped her feet, applied some super glue to the scab so it's not in contact anymore with the floor directly (same I do for my cuts and small wounds in my hands). Then I've applied some antibiotic cream I had a home and I held her for about 5min because once she steps on the floor is all going to rub away. How are you supposed to do it?

I am hoping I caught this early on and can fix it before it gets any worse.

I'm gonna do a bit more of research on the topic, but I'd like to hear your advice.

Any tips are appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20230706_045755.jpg
    IMG_20230706_045755.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 83
My pet quail has a rare yeast skin infection I have diagnosed her with books and a swab after two useless vet visits.
It's located on her chest, upper legs and a bit around her head.

I am looking for a new vet (a useful one) to take her. But today I just have noticed a bump in her feet. It can't have been there long because I check her a lot. Maybe a couple days tops.

Her other leg is fine.

Is this bumblefoot? If so, how to treat it? since it's not advanced. Any tips?

Right now she's on shavings. They get changed regularly. I don't even understand how could she possibly hurt her foot, but maybe she got the tiniest cut, the yeast attacked, and then bacteria joined the party. The other parts attacked by the yeast don't look so swollen and red. This has to be a bit infected by a bacteria.

I have wiped her feet, applied some super glue to the scab so it's not in contact anymore with the floor directly (same I do for my cuts and small wounds in my hands). Then I've applied some antibiotic cream I had a home and I held her for about 5min because once she steps on the floor is all going to rub away. How are you supposed to do it?

I am hoping I caught this early on and can have a relatively easy fix.

I'm gonna do a bit more of research on the topic, but I'd like to hear your advice.

Any tips are appreciated. Thank you!
it looks like very very early bumble foot but I don’t know for sure. I would clean it up. Sit her in a warm epsom salt bath for a like 10-15 minutes and then use antibiotic cream WITHOUT painkillers and wrap in up and check it every couple of days and this should help as it is very early bumble foot if it is bumble foot at all.

it looks like very very early bumble foot but I don’t know for sure. I would clean it up. Sit her in a warm epsom salt bath for a like 10-15 minutes and then use antibiotic cream WITHOUT painkillers and wrap in up and check it every couple of days and this should help as it is very early bumble foot if it is bumble foot at all.
Yes. In any case I will treat it as a preventative measure as long as what you told me to do can't harm her even if she doesn't have it in the end.

I don't have epsom salt, I think it's not that easy to find where I live. Can I use any substitute or just water?

How do you wrap the wound? I am very clueless about that.
Yes the antibiotic cream doesn't have any painkillers. I had read that before. What's the deal with the painkillers?

That's the cream I'm using

Thanks for commenting

Attachments

• IMG_20230706_054021.jpg
    IMG_20230706_054021.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 6
Yes. In any case I will treat it as a preventative measure as long as what you told me to do can't harm her even if she doesn't have it in the end.

I don't have epsom salt, I think it's not that easy to find where I live. Can I use any substitute or just water?

How do you wrap the wound? I am very clueless about that.
Yes the antibiotic cream doesn't have any painkillers. I had read that before. What's the deal with the painkillers?

That's the cream I'm using

Thanks for commenting
If you don’t have epsom salt it’s fine the Epsom salt is just to loosen the skin the cream looks to be fine. The Painkillers in some antibiotic creams are toxic to birds which is why I said to make sure to not use them. You would just wrap the foot with vet wrap and make sure it’s not tight but not to loose wrap it in between the toes trying not to separate them to much but enough to secure it then feel her feet in like 10-15 minutes to see if they are cold or warm if the eye are cold loosen the wrap and do it over again if it’s worm she will be fine and just leave the wrap on for 1-2 days check it again if it’s gone take it off if it’s still there wrap it up again hope this helps.

If you don’t have epsom salt it’s fine the Epsom salt is just to loosen the skin the cream looks to be fine. The Painkillers in some antibiotic creams are toxic to birds which is why I said to make sure to not use them. You would just wrap the foot with vet wrap and make sure it’s not tight but not to loose wrap it in between the toes trying not to separate them to much but enough to secure it then feel her feet in like 10-15 minutes to see if they are cold or warm if the eye are cold loosen the wrap and do it over again if it’s worm she will be fine and just leave the wrap on for 1-2 days check it again if it’s gone take it off if it’s still there wrap it up again hope this helps.
Thank you.
I'll keep the painkillers thing in mind never to use any cream that has them.
I'll look up what the vet tape is and better how to do this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom