Is this bumblefoot, or a cyst or callous?

LucyGoosey1

Chirping
Aug 17, 2016
Hello,

I've taken our Welsh Harlequin to two vets, neither of whom think it's bumblefoot since it is a hard mass. When a syringe was inserted, only a pink / reddish serum came out. The first vet gave her an antibiotic which hasn't shrunk the lump much at all, even after 10 days. Soaking in Epsom salts and applying antibiotic also didn't seem to do much. Vet1 says we shouldn't worry about it as long as she isn't limping ("she's a duck, after all"), and Vet 2 says surgery is optional, though he'd recommend it. He thinks it's fibrous tissue that developed from walking on surfaces that are too hard.

Surgery will cost $600 !

Does anyone have any recommendations as to alternatives? Is this actually an infection, or just a callous? Is bumblefoot hard, or is it a soft lump?

Thank you!

H3.JPG
H3.JPG
H1.JPG

Attachments

• H2.JPG
    H2.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 4
I'm not familiar with duck feet. Is that lump on the bottom or top of the foot?

I'd be inclined to do surgery. Soak the foot for a good twenty minutes in very warm water with Epsom salt. Then take a sterilized sharp knife or Exacto knife and carve around the black scab in the center of the larger lump. If it's bumblefoot, you will see a "kernel" attached to the scab.

Pull the kernel out. There should be puss beneath that. If there's no kernel or pus, then you have a cyst. If you have pus, clean it all out as best you can.

I usually soak again in more Epsom salt with a splash of Betadine in the water. Dry the foot, spray with Vetericyn, let dry, then put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and bandage with a telfa pad and vet wrap.

You need to check the wound after 48 hours, and soak again, then re-bandage. Keep checking every couple days until the foot is healed.

It could be bumble foot hard to tell.You could set up a donation page on a website to help pay for his surgery.I recommend getting him surgery before it gets worse.

Back
Top Bottom